Ringneck watery poo and lethargic

Doive

Hatching
Dec 13, 2022
Hi, we recently rescued a young ringneck pheasant from a roadside, I think he was hit by a car. His legs didn't work so he has been recovering in a little chair and sling I made for him. No obvious sign of injury or breakages (we have kept poultry for over 10 years) so I think it's a neurological problem. He has been eating well and doing all the usual pheasant things, seemed happy and healthy, food going in, poo coming out, calling regularly to mark his territory.

However, yesterday he suddenly took a turn for the worse. Was much quieter, drinking more, and poo was very watery. Still bright and alert, did all his usual activities - we take him 'flying' several times a day to keep all the muscles working, he made the 'pheasant flying' call. This morning he is much quieter, poo still very loose and watery. Took him for a fly, he flapped round the usual circuit but didn't call. He's now wrapped up in a blanket and is sleeping. Have given him Emeraid to keep energy up.

I don't think it's coccidiosis as there is no sign of blood in his stool. Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Pheasant.jpg
    Pheasant.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 21
What are you feeding him? Watery poop with a lot of urates could be polyuria. The signs are there but there is also alot of other illnesses that have similar symptoms. Excessive water intake, lethargic, even a 'fluffed up' appearance.
If possible I'd have a vet visit to find out for sure what is the issue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom