Ringnecks Won't Leave Nest

BrowncoatChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
My two female ringneck doves were born this past summer. They started laying eggs in the fall but seem to have stopped in the New Year. When they started laying I started providing them with a nest (a plastic container lined with hay secured to the side of their cage raised up off the ground) 24/7. My only issue is, they seem to be spending the vast majority of their time in the nest now, even when they have no eggs. They'll leave the nest to eat or drink, but then they'll go back. Is this unhealthy in any way, or should I not worry about it?

I only have had pigeons, and not ring neck doves, I think the behavior may be similar. They have gone broody and are trying to hatch their eggs. Are there males present in their cages???
Worrying will solve nothing. Let nature take course.
thumbsup.gif

No males. One of them laid another egg yesterday. I've heard that perpetual broodiness can be bad for birds, but they can't be broody if they're still laying eggs (at least one of them isn't broody, then, that is).

Don't worry. Its normal.

I have lots of ring neck doves and can tell you they won't get sick from being broody.. but they can get sick from laying too many eggs... that is why you should never remove the eggs as they will just keep laying more.

The best thing is to swap the real eggs with some fake ones.. or small white plastic balls etc so they can brood them... and they won't go bad and smelly.

After a couple of weeks they will realise the eggs are not going to hatch and they will go back to normal.... before laying some more.

You can discourage this behaviour in the future by taking out the nesting baskets and material.

But they most likely will lay a few on the cage floor... but maybe not get broody.

Back
Top Bottom