RIR has white goop coming from eye *Help!*

Miyashi

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Gaylord, MI
I work at a local farm supply store.
The other day I found a very small RIR in with its brood mates, beak in the shavings, standing, asleep.
I picked "him" up and put "him" in with a couple other sickly birds we had in the sick bay in the back.
Today I noticed his eye had a white colored bubble coming from it, completely covering his eye and eyelid on one side.
I tried to pull down the eyelid on the other eye and once I had, the same white cloudy goop came out of that one.
When I initially found him, his eyes didn't seem to open properly.
I'm a little puzzled on what course of action to take.
I'd like to make this little guy well.
I dip his head in water to make sure hes drinking.
He seems to want to eat, he's always pecking around, but he doesn't open his beak up enough.
I'm wondering if he's blind aside from the eye goop.
It seems as though the poor little bird has no idea how big the crumbles are so he can't open up far enough to get a good beak full.
Any ideas at all as to what this could be or what course of action to take would be wonderful.
He's just so small. :( I would have taken a photo, but we can't have our phones while on the clock. I may go back tonight just to see how he's doing and maybe wash out his eyes. If I do, I will take pictures.
Thanks for reading!!!!
And it's nice to be back!

You seem like a nice person to want to take care of this chick, but it would be better for the healthy chickens in your store to remove sick chicks from the vicinity (such as take them home.) This little chick sounds like it has a respiratory disease which are extremely contagious to others and can make carriers of them. Cleaning his eyes twice a day with a warm wet compress, and applying Terramycin or plain neosprin ointment may help. Vitamins and probiotics in his water would build immunity. Also an antibiotic that treats MG and some other respiratory diseases would help. Tylan, Gallimycin, Oxytetracycline used in the water will treat it, but he will still be a carrier.

Back
Top Bottom