RIR Info Needed

MS9325

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Hello,

Can any one tell me if RIR pullets get big combs at a young age, mine is about 6 weeks old and its just now starting to get a little pink but it sure is big. I have two and bought them as sexed pullets. I will try to borrow a camera to take pics.

Here's a guess at what I know. Rooster's usually have the larger combs at an earlier stage, as well as developing tail feathers earlier.
Is it the one? Or is there another for comparision?
This is my husbands favorite breed. Enjoy.

i have two but they are two weeks apart, the older one has wattles coming in already and a full tail and its comb is about as high as a penny.

I dont know if this helps or not, but I do have a white leghorn pullets and golden sex link pulltes the same age, and there combs are a lot smaller and they are all smaller in general.

Here is my RIR hen w/spurs, she never crows and she lays eggs, they are 21 months old now:
AmericanRIRinAlaska.jpg

Here's some of the other girls for comparison:
Image004.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing with my chicks. I have some full white leghorns and some RIR/leghorn mix. Some of them do have a pretty large comb while others still barely have one. I have a large mix with a large comb but hardly no tail feathers. Seems all the big combed ones I have don't have as many feathers.
Here is a picture of Little Hops that is a mix at about a month old.
littlehops.jpg

Here is a picture of Big Red during the winter in the barn. I hope he gets our hens bred. Seperated the two groups. Have to wait and keep hatching to find out.

bigredroaster.jpg

Back
Top Bottom