RIR....Roo?

cosmomcnugget

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Is my RIR (Martha) a roo? She (I hope) is just about 4 weeks old.

photos067.jpg

photos070.jpg

photos073.jpg

photos076.jpg

(FYI Martha was sexed as a female)

I have eight week old RIR pullets and they are just starting to get combs that size. At four weeks, Martha's comb is rather large. I would guess that it is a rooster. Sorry.

Oh no, please say it isn't so!!
I don't know what I am going to do.
She is two weeks older than everyone else in the pic. She is the same size or a little smaller than the others her age. She also is not dominant she is about 3rd in the pecking order.
Is there any hope? My ordinances don't allow for Roosters.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I also have an RIR that I thought was a roo, but now wonder if it's a pullet. It is about the age of yours and the combs look the same. I question his roo-ness because the 3 other roo's he lives with (Leghorns) have enormous combs- at least 3X the size of his. Soooo....maybe Martha gets to stay Martha...?

What do I do ...? I can't have a rooster (zoning law). Do I wait longer to see if she/he crows, or do I find it a home before we become more attached?

I think you are right, crittercrazy.

And to add to my earlier post..my RIR is definitely a roo. What a difference 1 week has made in comb developement!!

You might as well hang on to her until s/he starts to crow before you get ride of her/him. But you might want to have a plan in place of how to accomplish that. Are you thinking about what were you thinking of for getting rid of him? Giving him away? Food?

Back
Top Bottom