rirs and production reds?

IF one wants to they could say that ANY fowl that is bought from a hatchery is a is a Production Breed i.e.
Production Red, Production Barred Plymouth Rock, Production Wyandotte and so on since hatcheries breed for quantity/ production and not quality of the fowl.

Chris

I agree with you there Chris thats exactly what I call my barred ones from unknown (Ideal) heritage BRs (Production cuckoos)

axoa- I'd say its more likely a "production" red on the left (unless she is truly a heritage RIR) can't see her really good in the pic but looks a little light for a RIR and a Gold sex-link hen on the right note the white tail and buff plumage. Pro-reds are a good bit darker than her, most definitely not a production red though, production sex-link, yes
wink.png

Jeff

Since there is no standard of perfection, no way to measure the strain, I'd venture to say there is no way to show a "true" production red. "True" denotes true to type. The production red, as far as I know, has not been declared a breed, with a standard, nor accepted by the APA or anything else. Shrug.

Unless a bird is bred to a standard, all bets are off. There are many, many true breeds and each have there own standard of perfection by which to judge whether one's is breeding "true" birds. Since there are no "breed police" running around arresting hatcheries for false claims, they call stuff whatever they want to call stuff.

Easter Eggers sold as a Araucana.
Rusty colored birds sold as Rhode Island Reds
Mottled, specked birds sold as Barred Rocks, etc
Marans that cannot lay a dark enough egg.
And on and on it goes. It is what it is.

My particular favorite is the rusty red bird sold as New Hampshire "Red".

Last edited:
Generally speaking in most cases they are the same thing, with some differences.

Production Red in most cases means it is a red or orangish chicken with yellow legs and a single comb and lays an ample amount of brown eggs.

Rhode Island Red refers to a certain breed which is red and lays brown eggs with yellow legs and a single comb.

The thing is, Production Red is very often stamped onto Rhode Island Reds because of the fact that most "RIR's" out there are actually so far from the breed standard and very likely cross-bred that it's practically useless to call them by the true breed name. A Rhode Island Red is a very large, brick like bird with a very deep almost blackened glossy red color that is very well suited for a dual purpose use, however most hatchery based "Rhode Island Reds" are basically, well, Production Reds. They're just orange to reddish colored skinny birds not much useful for dual purpose especially considering their poor temperament they've been, shall we say, not bred for, but instead, they've only been bred for production. Lots of eggs.

So, at least the way I see it, either a hatchery based RIR or even a so called RIR x New Hampshire are both "Production Reds." But hey, even hatchery New Hampshires are also very very far bred from the original breed purpose and standard. But, that's another story.

Since there is no standard of perfection, no way to measure the strain, I'd venture to say there is no way to show a "true" production red. "True" denotes true to type. The production red, as far as I know, has not been declared a breed, with a standard, nor accepted by the APA or anything else. Shrug.

Unless a bird is bred to a standard, all bets are off. There are many, many true breeds and each have there own standard of perfection by which to judge whether one's is breeding "true" birds. Since there are no "breed police" running around arresting hatcheries for false claims, they call stuff whatever they want to call stuff.

Easter Eggers sold as a Araucana.
Rusty colored birds sold as Rhode Island Reds
Mottled, specked birds sold as Barred Rocks, etc
Marans that cannot lay a dark enough egg.
And on and on it goes. It is what it is.

My particular favorite is the rusty red bird sold as New Hampshire "Red".

I agree here too as I have my own rendition(strain) of "production reds" that I have bred-up/or for a better word propagated from various hatchery versions for about 6 years now and they range greatly in color from dark red to light red and all the reds in between. They all have the same small leghorn-type frames and lay like there's no tomorrow.

No standard to go by, just a red colored hen that is very feed efficient and lays numerous amounts of BIG brown eggs yearly that's about all that is required to be called a "production red"
idunno.gif
Here Fred is the shrug smilie for ya, LOL

Jeff

all so that is not a rir i bought them from mt healthy and they said they were just saying idk though i have only had them for a year now

If one buys their chicks from a generic hatchery, or, from a feed store that simply resells hatchery chicks, which is 95% of what folks here own, then it is to be expected that one has purchased production or at least, off type, birds.  Not that they aren't nice, healthy, sometimes pretty, often quite productive, but the odds of getting a true to type, heritage RIR, Barred Rock, New Hampshire, Delaware or any other breed is about like trying to win MegaMillions lottery.  The odds are over-whelmingly against it.  

Here at our feed store, they order from a breeder who actually owns the store himself. The birds you buy there are quality birds. Not that I've bought any myself. They don't have a huge selection. Delaware, Barred rock, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes, etc and none are sexed.

The owner actually participates in shows. http://cspoultry.homestead.com/ - so it's not true that all feed stores only resell hatchery chicks. It isn't ALWAYS the case, but a lot of the times it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom