Road island Red chicks?

Mommakity

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Sealy Texas
Hi, this is my first post!
I bought 6 road island red pullets from the local Tractor Supply here!
The problem is, three look like what I think RIR should look like, and three have a black line on their heads and down their back??? These are smaller too! Any ideas on what I actually got?

Attachments

• CC844F5D-C92F-41CC-9F62-40E894BE6938.jpeg
    CC844F5D-C92F-41CC-9F62-40E894BE6938.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 18
The striped ones are indeed Americana chickens, they have the puffy cheeks and look adorable, they lay a bluish, green egg and are one of my favorite breeds, if I were you I would keep them for sure. They are a very hardy breed for winter if that helps your case.

That’s very strange since Tractor Supply had them all together labeled RIR pullets! I didn’t even notice till yesterday! Easter Sunday! I bought them Friday! I guess if they are pullets, I’ll be happy, especially they are isa brown! Great layers! I didn’t really want RIRs but I’ve ordered and ordered and still no chicks delivered!
So I figured the Friday before Easter there should be some chicks somewhere! I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks! Thanks for your reply!

The right chick is an Americana or however you spell that because of the striped back, and the left is an isa brown or RIR.
The striped ones are indeed Americana chickens, they have the puffy cheeks and look adorable, they lay a bluish, green egg and are one of my favorite breeds, if I were you I would keep them for sure. They are a very hardy breed for winter if that helps your case.
im in south Texas, so heat is more my problem than cold winters! Thank you for your input on the Americanas! I can’t spell that one!
I never wanted the RIRs but because of the covid19 thing, I haven’t gotten a single order I’ve placed! I still have one more delivery date 4/26! I got to thinking.... if that delivery doesn’t materialize, I’ll have a new coop built , with personal design and love, and no chicks! These are doing great! One very slight pasty butt, I had to clean twice, but she seems ok now!
I got two bantams also, out of a mixed pen! I told the guy to pick me two solid black with black feet and maybe feathered legs, hoping for black silkies! I think they might be! At least I have chicks! Hopefully all 4 orders I placed in March will not suddenly show up! Eeeek!

im in south Texas, so heat is more my problem than cold winters! Thank you for your input on the Americanas! I can’t spell that one!
I never wanted the RIRs but because of the covid19 thing, I haven’t gotten a single order I’ve placed! I still have one more delivery date 4/26! I got to thinking.... if that delivery doesn’t materialize, I’ll have a new coop built , with personal design and love, and no chicks! These are doing great! One very slight pasty butt, I had to clean twice, but she seems ok now!
I got two bantams also, out of a mixed pen! I told the guy to pick me two solid black with black feet and maybe feathered legs, hoping for black silkies! I think they might be! At least I have chicks! Hopefully all 4 orders I placed in March will not suddenly show up! Eeeek!
Uhhhh, they will probably show up. When you order it tells you the soonest date, which is a bit out from now. So. I hope you can are ready for tons of chicks :D

Also, not RIRs. One is an easter egger. Not sure on the other.

Back
Top Bottom