Rock Barred chicks- male or female?

lisa920

Chirping
Mar 30, 2016
Virginia
I got 4 chicks 3 weeks ago that were 2-3 days old, trying to determine what I have. I'm thinking at least one roo maybe two.

From what I learned researching them (because I have 2 3 week old br) the males are lighter and females darker.

I got 4 chicks 3 weeks ago that were 2-3 days old, trying to determine what I have. I'm thinking at least one roo maybe two.

2 look like female 2 look like males, here's my 5 week old female barred rock

Can I see them closer up from a side view? If the feather pattern is distinct stripes and more white than black it'll be a rooster (from what I read) if it's a female the white stripes are thinner and it's more checker than stripes. Also males black feathers are more grayish than pure black

2 look like female 2 look like males, here's my 5 week old female barred rock

Can I see them closer up from a side view? If the feather pattern is distinct stripes and more white than black it'll be a rooster (from what I read) if it's a female the white stripes are thinner and it's more checker than stripes. Also males black feathers are more grayish than pure black

Here are pictures of one of my chicks when I purchased them they said pullet. Is it really male or female?

These are two that I think are roos,

Hen, I hope? Haven't got the other one alone.

Going off coloring I see that in the first pic the one in front is rooster and one in back is pullet, the next photo also looks like pullet, you may want to wait until their comb grows more and you see the full pattern that's growing in (probably another 1-2 weeks)

Here are pictures of one of my chicks when I purchased them they said pullet. Is it really male or female?

How old is it? I'm not seeing the pattern too well so I'm assuming 2 weeks old maybe a little older? It looks too young to tell

You can tell if it is male or female if you get the chick,lay the chick belly side up in the palm of your hand,if the chick does not be still it is a male,if it is still and pulls its feet up towards it's breasts it is a female.

Back
Top Bottom