Roo agression

I'm glad. I was thinking about rehoming mine and I'm so glad I didn't.
Hes a really good roo that took really good care of baby chicks when I first got him. (Let my mom borrow him when she first got her tiny ones.) We thought he was a hen at first. My kids love him too. Would like for him to be aggressive towards invaders just not his caregivers

I was just reading an article about training a rooster not to crow, he talked about tapping on a chickens head (like they do to each other) and gently pushing on his back to show him/her you are the dominant bird and you are in charge not them. I’ll try to find the article.

I was just reading an article about training a rooster not to crow, he talked about tapping on a chickens head (like they do to each other) and gently pushing on his back to show him/her you are the dominant bird and you are in charge not them. I’ll try to find the article.
Funny enough, I dont mind crowing lol

I agree. I have done things like caught a roo and put him in isolation for a few hours, but still with the flock.. just in a large dog kennel alone. I have picked up a roo and walked around with him when he was young and sized me up. Usually I just put my boot slowly and gently up to their chest if they come too close and force them to take a gentle 2 steps back so they learn the respect of space. My roosters eat out of my hand and I make sure that they see I am the food/treats and water source. Some people say omggg never ever do these things!!! but all of these things have worked for me. I will add that I only did these things when they were young/not matured and without spurs. Every rooster I ever hand raised myself has never been fierce. I have had Australorps (which they say are bad), Buff Orppington's, EEs and Plymouth Rock. Never once did one attack me. Each rooster is an individual and will react to how it is treated. Good Luck!

I used a large black trash bag, grabbed the roo by his feet in the bag he went, 55-gallon heavy duty black contractors bag, he immediately calmed down put him in a dog kennel for 5 mins like this, let him back out, no more aggression. The bag was very loose but he did not make a sound or move, he decided real quick I was the one in charge.

First off, I'd stop hand feeding him and teach him to respect my space instead. The theory is, cockerels (roosters under a year old) get the lines blurred and think they are dominant over their human keepers. This is not a good thing. As soon as I recognize a chick as being a cockerel, I quit handling it. Instead, I show them that I am the queen of the coop. If I want to go from one place to another and a cockerel is in my way, I walk right "through" him and make him get out of my way. I will move them away from food and water if I so choose, just because I can. If one looks at me sideways or tries to come toward me, I walk toward them and back them up. Sometimes I just walk after them, making them move away. I have not had an aggressive rooster since I have started raising them this way. Since yours has already started to attack (how old are your kids?) I would suggest reading this article by Beekissed on rooster behavior and how to modify it.
Rooster

I agree. I have done things like caught a roo and put him in isolation for a few hours, but still with the flock.. just in a large dog kennel alone. I have picked up a roo and walked around with him when he was young and sized me up. Usually I just put my boot slowly and gently up to their chest if they come too close and force them to take a gentle 2 steps back so they learn the respect of space. My roosters eat out of my hand and I make sure that they see I am the food/treats and water source. Some people say omggg never ever do these things!!! but all of these things have worked for me. I will add that I only did these things when they were young/not matured and without spurs. Every rooster I ever hand raised myself has never been fierce. I have had Australorps (which they say are bad), Buff Orppington's, EEs and Plymouth Rock. Never once did one attack me. Each rooster is an individual and will react to how it is treated. Good Luck!
Well said!

Back
Top Bottom