Roo attacked me!

There is a couple of ways to deal with this;
1.Put blinders on the roo
2.Get a chick and hand raise it.

Behavior training takes time a dose not always work.
The chick that turned into the roo that attacked me was hand raised from a day old chick. And behavior training might work except for one tiny detail - just because that roo sees you as the person at the top of the order through training doesn't mean he will see all people in that light. So I might be able to eventually work around him without fear, but there's no guarantee that my grandkids ever can. And how do you teach chicken psychology to a child so they can put that into effect out in the chicken yard? They haven't even figured out why they do dumb stuff themselves yet. Nope, crock pot or bar-be-que grill as far as this chicken lady is concerned. But, as always, to each his own....my way might not be the way everyone else sees things, and that's just fine.

Older roosters and hens understand the psychology and keep younger roosters in their place. I think that good roosters comes from established multi generational flocks, not flockmates.

Mean roosters can hurt kids, and no one should have to be attacked. Mean roosters ruin chickens for a lot of people.

Mrs K

The chick that turned into the roo that attacked me was hand raised from a day old chick. And behavior training might work except for one tiny detail - just because that roo sees you as the person at the top of the order through training doesn't mean he will see all people in that light. So I might be able to eventually work around him without fear, but there's no guarantee that my grandkids ever can. And how do you teach chicken psychology to a child so they can put that into effect out in the chicken yard? They haven't even figured out why they do dumb stuff themselves yet. Nope, crock pot or bar-be-que grill as far as this chicken lady is concerned. But, as always, to each his own....my way might not be the way everyone else sees things, and that's just fine.

As I posted in this tread before we have a roo in our axe pen for this very reason.

I prefer to hand raise my roosters because it is easyer to teach my little girl to work around them and they are used to her.

But yes if they go bad we love bar-be-que chicken.

Older roosters and hens understand the psychology and keep younger roosters in their place. I think that good roosters comes from established multi generational flocks, not flockmates.

Mean roosters can hurt kids, and no one should have to be attacked. Mean roosters ruin chickens for a lot of people.

Mrs K

This seem true in my experience as well.
goodpost.gif

My 2 leghorns and 2 older black sex links have not been laying for over a week. The younger ones aren't consistent yet so I am lucky if I get 2 eggs a day. Yesterday when I checked for eggs I had 5! 4 of them were from the older hens that haven't been laying! Guess that rooster was stressing them out pretty bad. Glad we put him in the freezer for a meal next week! My whole purpose for having chickens is the eggs! I had to explain this to a brokenhearted 6 year old little girl and a 7 year old boy when we butchered the rooster. That was the hardest part if killing him. But they do understand it was for their safety and mine as well. I really do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions!

I know a older woman that has been scare to death of chickens because she was attack by a rooster when she was a young child and now she is 63 and still scare of chickens. I have a grand son that lives in front of us is already scare of chickens it would be much worst if he ever was attacked by a edible rooster. this is not the first story I hear of rooster attacks and created fears of been attacked again. That is and will not happen on my farm. I have been raising chickens for over 20 years and have always weeded out the problematic rooster or hens. You can look at this as chickens are pets or food which you ever prefer but is your freedom do what you think is right for YOUR FARM and your chickens. Me myself I love raising chickens and turkeys and do get attached to them all but it does not been I will not put my family comes first over my chicken or roosters. The end is if it ever comes to it I can and would rid of the entire flock to protect my family and friends.

I have a great big RIR rooster that is very protective of his hens. He has attacked us many times. I have found 2 resolutions that work. 1: We get just as aggressive toward him as he is to us. We yell and howl and flap our arms and chase him all over the yard. That cools his jets for a while. He doesn't get aggressive with us much any more. The other solution I found was to put a dog harness on him (upside down so the leash clips are on the bottom) and put him on a leash so he can't go after the kids that may come to visit. I love my rooster and don't want to get rid of him. He takes good care of his hens and protects them when I'm not looking. They were all raised together and I wouldn't think of culling him from the flock.

I have a great big RIR rooster that is very protective of his hens. He has attacked us many times. I have found 2 resolutions that work. 1: We get just as aggressive toward him as he is to us. We yell and howl and flap our arms and chase him all over the yard. That cools his jets for a while. He doesn't get aggressive with us much any more. The other solution I found was to put a dog harness on him (upside down so the leash clips are on the bottom) and put him on a leash so he can't go after the kids that may come to visit. I love my rooster and don't want to get rid of him. He takes good care of his hens and protects them when I'm not looking. They were all raised together and I wouldn't think of culling him from the flock.

I sell eggs and chicks from home. We also free range our flocks.

I 30 laying hens 6 roosters. I cannot have hen or a rooster running around that I don't trust.
And I don't have that much time to spend on one bird.

I 30 laying hens 6 roosters. I cannot have hen or a rooster running around that I don't trust.

Agree 100% . Human aggression can be passed to his sons. That is why I breed only from roosters who are easygoing toward the humans here. Except for very, very rare exceptions, that works extremely well and people have gotten roosters from me because of that. Temperament is a heritable trait.

I don't have time for it, either, for the same reason as Farmer Ken. On my rocky, root-ridden mountain property, with a serious ankle issue from a bad break a few years ago, I cannot afford to be knocked off my feet by surprise attack from a nasty rooster.

Last edited:

X2 I also sell from my free range flock and have people in and out

I also have grandkids that spend time here every few weeks and love to help with the animals, one of their favorite things is to go out and feed the chickens. If one of my GK's was attacked I would never forgive myself.. There is no animal in the world worth the safety of the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom