Roo attacking

Momma Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Missouri
I'm bummed. My Barred Rock roo, Atticus, that I've been so proud of & who's pic I've posted often on the other board as he grew from chick to adult, is becoming aggressive. He's jumped at my 4yr old twice now for no apparent reason. Each incident he's a little more fiesty than the last. This evening as me & the kids gathered eggs & were on our way back to the house, he comes running outta the open run to challenge ME!
Had I not had my 18mos old in my arms at the time, I'da really kicked his butt good for him! But I also had to ensure the safety of my 3 & 4yr old standing beside me, who both had their hands full with their little egg bowls. Oh I was so mad. Totally unprovoked. Now I'm bummed b/c I realize I can't have an aggressive roo or any aggressive animal on the place, not with my little ones. I currently have 2 roos too many in my flock. Just haven't made it to the sale barn yet to get rid of them. I'm hoping once I do, that will settle him down some. He's super at guarding the girls when they free range & I'm wanting really bad to try my hand making some Black Star Sexlinks. I'm undecided what to do with him at this point but from now on he will remain inside the run. He just lost all his free ranging privileges! Bad rooster!

"Bad Rooster!"

Sorry, that made me laugh!
lol.png

Aggressive roosters are such a pain. I have had some of my favorite turn like that. It could be the time of year. It is spring and his girls while they may never go broody are at that time when they would otherwise do so. He may settle down some but if he does not your only choice is to keep him penned and let the girls visit him occasionally. If you have another rooster that is not aggressive you may want to consider keeping one of them. Some people have been sucessfull in getting a rooster to settle down but many times it is just part of his protective nature and it may not be possible to have one without the other.

I know how mad it can make you. There is just something about a rooster flogging you from behind that sets me off.

Hmm.. maybe it's something in the air. my rooster has been doing the same thing. his privlaged were revoked a couple days ago and he got to sit in a cage all alone!

Ever have your grandpa show you how to catch flies with a broad arm swoop?

Well, thats exactly what I do with a "cocky" roo. I grab and hold that scrawny lil neck and give him a loud sassing!!! If he's lucky, I haven't throttled him and he's still standing....after a few minutes of giving him the domination rule, I start to let go...depending on his reaction, I'll release him. If he so much as hesitates or even THINKS about trying that gesture again, then I repeat the process until he is totally cowering and wanting to submit.

After that little event, I've never had my roo be agressive to people again. My bantams remain dominate and protective of their girls from other predators but the people and dogs are given a wide berth. Like children and dogs, gotta nip bad behavior in the bud!

It would be difficult to do around young children, I suppose... but keep trying to impress upon them who is the "master" of the coop. I had one acting up once when I had guests... Later when I had the opportunity, I challenged him slightly to get his reaction and settled the situation then and there.

I love my roos, they're the prettiest lawn ornaments in the yard. My neighbor and I enjoy their morning wake up calls too.

Good luck,

Sylvia

Momma Hen, I would get rid of that rooster!!! I was spurred in the face when I was four years old while going out to gather eggs with my grandpa. My mother about had a fit when he and I came back to the house with me all bloody, crying, and screaming! Lucky for me the rooster's spur hit me in the gum. Today as an adult I have a white spot in the enamel of my front tooth. My mother was very upset with my grandpa because of his carelessness of having me around such a mean rooster. I am so thankful that I was not spurred in the eye. Thank God it was not that serious. I still remember it very vividly today! Watch those babies!!!! He'll get one of them when you least expect him to. I would just get rid of that mean ole' boy! Johnny

Last edited:
Do the kids help with the chicken chores all the time or not?
If not, Atticus may be equating them with strangers in his yard and try to protect his hens.
Forest Nymph's idea is a good one because the roo mounts the hen by grabbing her neck feathers.

Spotted Crow- yes the kids collect eggs every evening & help with various other chores (fresh hay in nestboxes, scattering fresh wood shavings, etc) We don't even have to go inside the coop or run to gather eggs. The way our pen is set up, there's a door on the backside to the nestboxes. As of last week I've had to keep my Leghorns confined to their run b/c they were venturing off onto the neighbors property (3 lots down). Atticus has pretty claimed these girls for himself from my other 3 roosters (2 RIRs, & 1 BO). I only let them out about 30 mins before dusk to free range so I don't have to worry about them wandering to far. So maybe he is rebelling for being confined??? Although I have my doubts. I've turned him out with my other breeds that won't stray off the property & he'll continue to walk the perimeter by his girls. He's as sweet as pie when its just me out there by myself. I've raised him since hatch date & can pick him up to pet anytime I want with no resistance from him...so could he be jealous of the kids maybe??? Too many roosters around?
I don't know. For now he will remain confined to the run anytime my kids are outside. He's getting so pretty, his sickle & saddle feathers are growing longer & I hate to get rid of him w/o at least getting some hatching eggs first. Guess I'm surprised- I had expected this behaviour from my RIRs before I would've suspected my BR roo.
I'll sell my other roos & if he doesn't calm down after that, I'll sell him as well & start fresh w/a new one.

Back
Top Bottom