Roo getting agressive?

Honeysucklefeathers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
western KY
I have a RIR roo about 6 mo old. He is with 8 BR hens. He's been pretty laid back until a few days ago. I've had to separate a couple of young hens due to pecking. When I moved the first one he came running and I just figured he was being protective of her. But he waited till my back was turned and came at me. I turned and yelled at him and approached him pretty agressively and he turned away. Today, same thing. He waited til I turned. I still had the hen in hand and went screaming and chasing him all over the run. He backed off and ran away. I don't want an agressive roo! So is he just young and showing off or should I be worried. I have a barred roo same age as the hens, about 4 1/2 mo, not laying yet. He is very laid back and I've had no trouble with the two of them together. The RIR was given to me by a friend and he is gorgeous, but I have grandchildren who love the chickens and don't want to take the chance. Any thoughts?

I had 2 BR roos to go along with 24 hens. The dominant roo started charging me at about 7 months old, and just continued to get more and more aggressive, to the point when I went in the pen I had to keep one eye on him at all times. When I went on vacation and DH took care of my birds for me, the third time the roo charged him was the last. Can't say I was sorry to see him go. The 2nd roo didn't have an issue with me except, when the hens would hop up on my lap or fly up to my shoulders, he didn't like them giving me attention. He lasted until June. His charging was getting outa control to the point I couldn't clean up the pen or house without having someone watch my back. If you have your gran-babies around I would go ahead and use the roo for stew meat. If he's charging you it's just a matter of time before he starts charging others.

Once they start acting aggressive I don't think they'll ever stop. We had a VERY aggressive roo that would do the same thing you're mentioning. He would wait until you were unsuspecting and then he would attack you from behind. One time he got me in the back of my knee and it bled so bad!

He's gone to rooster heaven (or more than likely hell) now and we have a very NICE roo that we can even pick up once it starts to get dark outside, he always wants in the house and I have to pick him up and go put him on his roost. It's nice having a friendly rooster that you can be around without worrying about being attacked. I would get rid of him.

Oh my goodness!

Me too!

This is my 2nd RIR roo and he is mean~! The first I gave away, this one is going in the freeZer!

I've always had americana's and the 3 Roo's I've had were sweet, nice to the hens, complete gentlemen, yet agressive to predators. One gave his life for his hens....
sad.png

I'm gonna put this really bad boy RIR in the freezer!!

All my chicks are well loved spoiled and hand fed. I don't understand what's with the RIR's and the one Buff Orph. I was given as a young roo! They have just had bad at'ti' TUDS!

My Americana's and Banties have been sweet and friendly!

I only had a Roo left from my first group of chickens he was spoiled, and I took special care of him. when I got my flock established he started charging me and I tried everything, holding him for long periods of time in the yard, separating him and even sticking him in buckets fo water and spraying him he would act better for a while and now I have scars on my legs because when I wasn't looking and had my hands full in the yard he attacked with a vengeance. I sent him to a friends freezer. A sad day but I don't think they ever come back from being aggressive:oops:

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record--and I have almost no experience--but there are many great tips and techniques on dealing with aggression in roos that worked like clockwork for me when my young BR started testing his limits, which seems a very normal behavior that includes attacking to understand how much of the environment he can dominate. I now can say that my rooster is a really great one, but I was very worried for 2-3 weeks as we sorted it out. I had done some advance reading so was ready for it and knew what to do. You can't let aggression become habit. Nip it in the bud pronto and allow no transgressions.

If you do some searches you'll find a link to a good blog on training roosters. Mother Earth News also has a nice article. That said, I would never allow unsupervised children or uneducated persons in with my rooster, anymore than I would let them out in the pasture with a bull or stallion.

Good luck with finding the right answer for you and your kids.

Kids come first. "Rehabilitated" roosters can never be completely trusted-- it's just the nature of the beast.

Back
Top Bottom