Roo, hen, gender fluid!?

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
Throwing in our "is-this-a-rooster conundrum" along with the others. I have 10 week old chicks that I believe to be Easter Eggers. I thought we had 2 roosters left after giving one away, but now we're not sure. Owlsey, the dappled brown one (younger pic also included), was the baby of this batch and tends to be very sensitive. We've rarely seen him seriously challenge the other two obvious roosters. Owlsey is always trying to snuggle with other chickens, possibly annoying them, and is easily distressed when we're moving chickens from one place to another for fear of being left alone which he demonstrates with vociferous distressed chirping. He/she/they? looked and acted like what we thought must be a hen, but is suddenly looking VERY MUCH like a rooster. Could it just be a hen with a big comb? Lana, the black/grey one, still looks like a hen in most ways, but seems to be getting saddle feathers and some charming mutton chops. She is fearless, a fierce meat eater of anything that crawls, and is honestly kind of a bulldog to the other hens. She loves to jump on the roosters and butt chests, though she submits when the big roosters say so. It may be worth noting that we separated both these chicks for a couple weeks, together, after we brought them home at 4 weeks old in order to nurse them back to health. They were both very weak and having difficulty walking (spraddled) because the hatchery had lost electricity.

Attachments

• Lan 10-weeks.JPG
    Lan 10-weeks.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Lana at 10 weeks.JPG
    Lana at 10 weeks.JPG
    636.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Owlsey 10 weeks.jpg
    Owlsey 10 weeks.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 23
  • baby owlsey.jpeg
    baby owlsey.jpeg