Roo is headed to the chopping block

hotmessJess

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Western NC
So my roo, who has been somewhat aggressive since becoming a big boy, was doing so well with human socializing... until the brat children from next door undid my hard work with him by throwing rocks, kicking, and attacking him!

Well today, one of our GOOD neighbors was caring for a two year old girl who tried to pet him (running children now frighten him) and he nearly took her eye out! Her parents are rightfully upset and want my boy gone, and I agree he needs to go, but I'm so mad I could spit about the kids next door. I wish I could (in my grandfather's words) deal them a good, ol' fashioned horse whippin'!

I'm just mad as a hornet that he could have been a good roo (he was vigilant over the hens) but these little monsters convinced him that's what all human children are!

And I'm worried about how this could change my insurance status. This was a bad day for sure. :(

How were they able to get near him? I would make it clear to the neighbour if they ring about his demise or lack of it again that while you have got rid of him he was on private property and they were trespassing so you are under no obligation to do anything should similar happen again with any of your other birds or if you choose to replace him.

Honestly what sort of supervising adult lets a kid run up to a rooster? She should be feeling guilty not you.

Last edited:
That really sucks, and I am sorry your rooster has to go. I would speak to the kids and the kids' parents next door, and tell them what happened. They should stay well away from your birds after that.

They have a child that sneaks around like a cat on the prowl in the neighborhood. They know how the children are and don't care. I don't think they'll be back anytime soon, though, because after my 11 year old told them off and not to come back, they went and got their own chickens (they've had them before and all of them died under mysterious circumstances - I think their kid did it)!

I just feel bad. My rooster was so frightened when I collected from the coop that I just didn't have the heart to process him. I know I'm going to have to, but I guess I'm just too upset at the moment.

So sorry for the hard situation you are in :( What about rehoming him??? Hes a good Roo. I have a awesome Roo for my hen's but not nice to me. He see's me as a threat, I always have to show him everyday Im the boss. I almost got rid of him, surprised found many homes for him. But decided to keep him for the ladies. Sounds like you cant keep him, for your and his protection, but maybe a new home.
Good luck .

I put an ad on CL, he is a good roo in the sense that he's protecting his flock. He's only been aggressive towards me twice, and that was because I was making quite a ruckus with the food bucket. He's very sound sensitive. He runs at children that run towards his hens, but this is the first time he's legitimately hurt someone and probably only because she was low to the ground. He didn't spur her, just scratched her face.

The neighbor sent me a text to ask if he was dead yet, which just set my stomach into knots. I understand she is trying to assuage her own guilt for the child being hurt (on MY property), but it's just making me feel hostile. I'm seriously considering just becoming a shut in and hoarding chickens for company.

He's a pretty handsome bird, too. I'm not gonna kill him. I was given more information that made me reconsider my motives in trying to cooperate. I owe him better than using his life as a peace offering. There's no justice in punishing him for doing his job.

They know full and well why the roo is how he is, and that roosters can be aggressive, but they don't care.

I've opened a claim with my homeowners insurance, just in case I failed to see the full extent of the injury, but I believe that's all I really owe them. Some information has come to my attention today that has made me step back and put this in perspective. I'm a mom (who has a kid that's had his fair share of animal injuries for not having restraint) and I understand the shock of seeing your child injured, but I believe I differ in regards that I see animals as beings with the right to autonomy and to protect themselves from perceived threats. I would never let my child run up and accost a strange animal.

I'm happy to report my boy found a new home! He's exactly what his new owner is looking for to protect the hens! I feel so relieved!

Back
Top Bottom