Roo making gurgling sounds. Help!

Hug a tree

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2017
Last night I went to close up the coop and my roo was snoring. I thought it was hysterical so I recorded him doing it. This morning when I let them out he was still doing it. Now I'm panicking.

He doesn't have any other symptoms. No swelling, paleness, eating and drinking although maybe a bit lethargic.

I isolated him outside of the flock and have not yet noticed the gurgling in anyone else. I did notice that he stopped making the sound in the pen. However, I want to treat him anyways as I don't want my flock to get infected and I LOVE this roo SO SO much, I'd be devastated if anything happens to him.

I'm totally inexperienced with chickens but he sounds like he's got a respiratory thing. This may have been caught by a new flock member who WAS quarantined but maybe not long enough to observe the symptoms. I'm thinking a good round of antibiotics and electrolytes to start?

Has anyone else dealt with chicken gurggles?

Thanks so much ❤️

Attachments

• orca-image-1510842955714.jpg_1510842956334.jpeg
    orca-image-1510842955714.jpg_1510842956334.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 64
Last night I went to close up the coop and my roo was snoring. I thought it was hysterical so I recorded him doing it. This morning when I let them out he was still doing it. Now I'm panicking.

He doesn't have any other symptoms. No swelling, paleness, eating and drinking although maybe a bit lethargic.

I isolated him outside of the flock and have not yet noticed the gurgling in anyone else. I did notice that he stopped making the sound in the pen. However, I want to treat him anyways as I don't want my flock to get infected and I LOVE this roo SO SO much, I'd be devastated if anything happens to him.

I'm totally inexperienced with chickens but he sounds like he's got a respiratory thing. This may have been caught by a new flock member who WAS quarantined but maybe not long enough to observe the symptoms. I'm thinking a good round of antibiotics and electrolytes to start?

Has anyone else dealt with chicken gurggles?

Thanks so much ❤️
Is he walking normally? Eating? I suggest feeling his crop although I'm not sure.

You must rule out any problems with his crop. If it feels OK and he is eating, drinking and pooping, you can put that aside for now.

This gurgling is very concerning, it's good you isolated him. But, you must be vigilant with the rest of the flock. Respiratory infections can spread quickly, 48 hours is the timeline for symptoms in other birds.

I don't think he needs electrolytes if he is drinking and eating. But, you may provide some mild warmth at night, if it is cold where you are. He should only need it for a couple of days, till he is on the mend. Make sure he can move away if he gets too warm. Keep him out of drafts, in the house or a garage.

Antibiotics can help, be sure to follow with a course of good probiotics to restore his gut flora. Most of his healing will depend on his general health. Also, providing good supportive care during his recovery, is key.

Diet: Meat protien or cooked eggs 3-4 times a week, fresh greens or even cooked frozen mixed vegies with corn, cooked grains: wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, brown rice, also some diced fruits: black or red grapes, apple, banana, watermelon etc.

This soft diet is excellent for restoring strength, easily digested and is easy on the crop.

Offer chicken feed daily, free choice, wet or dry.

I had a rooster that got so ill with a respiratory illness; he eventually recovered.
But, there is an important thing you should know. If you have multiple roosters, he will not be able to return to the flock if he is separated from them.

These are my thoughts on this issue...other posts will have good advice for you to consider too.

Hope this is helpful.
God Bless!

Last edited:
Before I gave him anything, I would try to determine if he is really sick. Checking his crop to make sure that it is emptying over night, and not puffy or hard in the early morning would be the first thing to do. Chickens can make a gurgly sound if the crop is full and contents are coming up in the throat. If he sounds fine when he is awake and active, he is probably alright. A chicken with a respiratory disease will usually exhibit other symptoms, such as watery or foamy eyes, nasal secretions, rales or rattles, gasping or labored breathing, sometimes sneezing or coughing, and sometimes swelling around an eye. Offer him fluids and food. Do the usual things to check for a illness, such as look for mites or lice on his skin, check his droppings for diarrhea or unusual colored stools, feel for weight loss, and think about worming.

Back
Top Bottom