Roo or Hen? Wheaten Maran

mamachick96101

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
A few weeks ago I would have sworn our little Wheaten Maran was a hen, now Im not so sure. What do you all think? I have photos of the inside of the wings if that helps anyone.

It's not wheaten, and not a marans either. This has yellow legs. Color is all wrong for wheaten-anything. It's colored like a production red- if this was a breed guessing game, first thought is production red or a egg producer hybrid.

This wheaten came from a blue wheaten Maran too and hen. I have photos if you'd like. How can one come from the other?

post 'em. not kidding, this chick is not even coloring out in wheaten pattern. there is also the issue of the chick having yellow legs and beak- which means it has yellow skin. Yellow skin is recessive so it has to be at least from two carrier parents. Marans are all supposed to have white skin- its why they have white beaks and legs.

A cross of white skin with yellow skin would give all white skinned chicks. Unless the white skin is a yellow skin carrier.

another potential issue- if the parents are French type- feathered legs then the chick should show any type of leg feathering... smooth legs is possible but should be pretty uncommon from feather leg parents.

So that's several things going on- totally wrong feather color, yellow skin, possibly smooth legs(if marans are feather leg)

check the leg and beak color on the parents.

Back
Top Bottom