Roo this one comes from

PRchick

Songster
Sep 11, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi everybody! I have this chick that came from a brown egg a friend let me have from some eggs a friend gave her. I had four eggs and three hatched. When I asked what the hens/roosters were, I was told that this was a barred rock hen and a blue laced red wyandotte rooster. When she was born, she was all black with a brown head. At four weeks, she looks like this and I am wondering where the lacing that seems to be starting to show is coming from. I thought she was going to be all black. She also has dark brown on the ends of her wing feathers.

The second one was yellow at birth and supposedly was by the same rooster and an ameraucana (don't know if an eater egger or not, but chick has ear muffs and pea comb). She's the one in the second picture. The boy was looking like he was going to be barred and I already rehomed him.

Attachments

• black_chick.jpg
    black_chick.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 9
  • buff_chick.jpg
    buff_chick.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 8
The cross of blue laced red Wyandotte male over a barred rock hen produces sex linked chicks. Your dark one is a female for sure. The barring isn't present in female black sex linked chicks. She will be black with brown or red leakage at the hackles and maybe the breast.

The second looks about like what you'd expect from a blr Wyandotte and Easter egger cross. Its gender is not sex linked and could be either male or female. A little too young to sex that one.

Thank you. Yes, I had already figured out the two black ones were sex-linked. The male had the white dot on top or the head and started getting the barred pattern. But you are saying that the lines in the middle of the pullet's feathers will go away? The light one's comb is still small, yellow and has only one single row of peas, so I'm hoping it's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom