Roo with hole in comb (pics)

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
[/IMG][/IMG]
Haven't a clue as to how this happened. He gets dirt, pebbles and all kinds of stuff in this. I try to keep it clean, but he acts like it hurts him when I clean it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Do you have other roosters, or a hen that is pecking him in the comb? Could he be injuring it on a sharp nail in the coop? I would spray his comb with Vetericyn or clean it with betadine or saline. Plain neosporin or bacitracin ointment are good to apply to the comb.

Do you have other roosters, or a hen that is pecking him in the comb? Could he be injuring it on a sharp nail in the coop? I would spray his comb with Vetericyn or clean it with betadine or saline. Plain neosporin or bacitracin ointment are good to apply to the comb.

I'm wondering if a hens picking him, as well. Hopefully the buddy heals up!

Should it be stitched back, or is it ok to stay like it is? He is the only roo in with hens, and I have never noticed any blood. That's why I thought it was so strange.

Should it be stitched back, or is it ok to stay like it is? He is the only roo in with hens, and I have never noticed any blood. That's why I thought it was so strange.

I don't think it needs to be stitched, but I've never dealt with anything like this so hopefully someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. That is quite strange.
1f914.png
I'm at a bit of loss as to what it could be if you saw no blood, unless you maybe just missed it or something. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge than me might know what's going on. :)

Back
Top Bottom