Roo won't accept new hens

I'm having the same issue, except my Roo is being a real jerk to the new girls. The two teenie boppers are 15 week old pullets, and they've been in the outdoor playpen area, "see but no touch" for a few weeks now. They still sleep inside in my *only* bathroom at night. (If you weren't all chicken people, I would be more embarrassed at how insane this sounds, but I know you all *get it*)

We're on Day Two of free range with the Big Kids (4 laying ladies, and one overly protective GIANT D-Bag Roo who attacks all things human -- all 8 months old). My blood pressure is through the roof with this! I've got hiding places set up all over the chicken yard for my sweet lil' pullets to scramble to.

The teens are doing well, integrating with the laying ladies (staying out of the way mostly), with the biggest problems coming from our hen who was formerly the lowest on the pecking order. But when our Jerk Roo decides to charge them from across the yard -- eeeek! The poor lil' babes are rightfully terrified! He attacks, and doesn't stop. I have been intervening with the hose sprayer set to STUN. I've never killed anything in my life, but if I was holding the machete instead of the hose, I think this Roo, that used to be my cuddle chick, would be a mass of bloody feathers in the yard.

Ugg. And yes, I've been trying to trying to re-home him for over 2 months, ever since his hormones kicked in. (and he sliced me down the nose) No takers. If I don't get some peace in the backyard soon, I'll have to ask the neighbor to help me send him off to the Rainbow Bridge aka Freezer Camp. :-(

I started my new girls off in their own coop, and then at about 16wk's, I took my rooster and his hens into the new coop after dark and they woke up inside with young ones. They have just recently started to figure out the pecking order, and nothing violent. As for the vicious roo, I had that problem too... it's gotten better as I started working with my family. We ignore him up until he charges and attacks, then we have to catch him, and putting our hand's on his back and behind his neck, we hold him on the ground-not hard, just so he is laying. Hold him for as long as it takes for him to stay down on his own. It's taken months to get him to leave us alone when we go out, but we are getting back there. I think because we interact with the flock so much he sees us as part of the flock and is trying to get us to submit to him, which no one here was gonna do. What ever your course is, good luck. There are some great ideas people share on here, so hopefully you will find the answers and support you need.

Thanks for the tips! We're inside city limits, so our Roo, who was a sexing mistake at the feed store, is making us lawbreakers already. His *antics* are not doing him any favors, and not making me want to fight city hall on his behalf! I just go about my business carrying my water wand of death (hose with sprayer attachment) and he seems to respect that. My neighbors are being very understanding, and know that I'm trying to re-home him, so haven't filed any complaints. Yet.

After the two inch nose slicing incident, I've tried twice to pick him up again, and was sliced/slashed/pecked at. I'm afraid that's it for me.

Back
Top Bottom