Room with a view?

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
First dh doesn't want chickens and now he's on my case because I want to move the brooder into the bathroom when we leave on vacation tomorrow so it'll be easier for the house sitter and no risk from the cat or from a dog that is going to be here later in the week but before we get back.

Dh is worried they will be bored because they won't have a window to look out of or people walking by in the kitchen, if they're stuck on the bathroom floor with nothing but the tile and wall to look at.

Which had never even occurred to me but now I have to worry about that too. Do chickens get bored if they don't have a good view? (They have plenty of room in the brooder so not worried about that!)

And I told the house sitter to sprinkle chick feed on the shavings 3x a day because they like to scratch around for it.

baby chicks have the time of their life just eating, drinking, sleeping, and pooing. they'll be fine with only each other to keep them entertained
smile.png

They will get bored but I don't think a window with a view will change that. I would put them in the bathroom for safety, they will be fine. For boredom I would have the sitter throw in a few treats, Chopped up boiled eggs are wonderful, just cook up and peel a few and stick them in the fridge for the sitter to use. Don't know their age but hung up things like banannas and lettuce are a favorite too, even a cricket or two can give some much needed entertainment! Have a nice time, better to be a little bored then dead from the cat or dog!

How do you hang up things? For instance, how would you hang a bit of a lettuce head?

I've told the sitter to sprinkle feed so they can scratch for it and also to put in dug up clumps of grass with soil attached.

If your that concerned place a mirror for their entertainment in with them. ... LOL Just make sure you secure it, so it will not fall Duct tape works wonders ...... LMAO

Thanks, everyone! I can now go on vacation with complete piece of mind. (Except for the girl I just discovered in my son's bed upstairs. Why can things never be normal around here?)

Back
Top Bottom