Roos coming out the wazoo!!

RavenEh

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2015
So I got six chicks, and it looks like 3 might be roosters. Womp, womp.

Here's a better pic of crowns. I know it's hard to be sure with only crowns but all three of the ones with big crowns, also have thick feet.

The Columbian I know is a rooster - he has been one clearly since we brought him home. The barred rock or sexlink grey one - Luke Skywalker (the lighter grey one in the bottom) - ACTS like a rooster, pushing everyone around and his crown is bigger than the other barred rock - the darker one (Stitch). He may need to be rehomed soon. The easter egger right against Luke Skywalker (Patsy) has a larger crown than my other easter egger (Harriet, beside her) and while I really want her to be a girl because she's so sweet...I think she might be a rooster.

So I'm guessing (in order of appearance):
Butterscotch-the-Cow: White Columbian - Cockerel
Puck: Black Mixed - Pullet (you can't see her face but she has ZERO crown)
Stich: Darker barred rock - Pullet (she has a much smaller crown than Luke Skywalker and smaller feet)
Harriet: EE Mix - Pullet (The one with the pea comb)
Patsy: EE Mix - Cockerel (The one with the spikey comb)
Luke Skywalker (formerly Leia): Lighter barred rock or sexlink - Cockerel

Thoughts??

It happened to me too! I have 4 bantams and 2 turned out roos. Although one had all sorts of attitude even at a couple days old. So I had a feeling and then one day I heard an attepted a crowing and sure enough
lol.png

I thought so - what about the other barred rock? The comb is significantly smaller and she is darker....pullet?

By the looks of it yes, but I can tell you that sometimes you just dont know until it becomes obvious. With Mine, my 2 roos combs turned bright red pretty fast. However, I have 4 ducks that I am fostering ( again, bought because they were cute and then someone decided they were too much) Anyway, 3 are male and they are all changin feathers at different rates. A month ago, I though I had 4 females. Nope, 3 males, 1 female.
th.gif

Thank you! I'm hoping Patsy (the all red with light around her eye) turns out to be a hen because she is going to be so pretty! Mind you, I can keep one rooster...maybe that will be the one. Butterscotch is so sweet though...ah, tough decision.

I completely understand. I currently am allowed to have whatever I want but we will be moving soon. I love all my birds but I may not be able to take them all or I may have to give them all up...
hit.gif
I have another Bantom Rooster that I have no idea what he is but he is gorgeous...

Aww,that would be awful getting rid of them all! I can technically have anything - we live on a farm in the country but I just worry two or three roosters is too much for only three hens....so that's what I meant about only keeping one. At this rate, and with how sweet they are, my hubby might be building a second coop next to the first one for my boys!

1 rooster is probably going to be too much for 3 hens. Especially when he's going through his hormonal teenager phase.

Anyway, a bachelor coop might be the way to go. I do a lot of hatching, and I always have more roosters than I know what to do with. Mine have a bachelor pad, they room with my pigs and free range our 14 acre pasture with them. It works out well. The pigs always leave a little of their feed behind, and the roos clean it up. Before we moved them in, we had a ton of wild birds flying in and out of the pig house to get the leftover feed. Not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom