ROOST BAR

I use 2x4's with the wide side flat. More wood for balance and no one complains.

At least 1 foot wide per bird with a little extra space for getting up and maneuvering.

I don't like them above my head or where I can't reach them. Also don't like them landing hard from a very high roost as injuries can be fatal and are hard to recover from. Mine are where I can reach the birds about shoulder height and I have a ramp that goes up. With droppings boards under neath so my coop floor stay cleaner. I also have a lower roost under that is about 18 inches high that younger birds use before they can face roost time antics which is when all hole havoc breaks loose. My top one has two boards that run parallel about 12 inches apart so they are at the same height but accommodate more birds on an even plane since they will all jockey for the best position and no one gets pooped on.

But in my Silkie tractor their roost is only 1 foot off the floor of their coop... that is raised to about the right height for me and have them able to use underneath the coop for shelter.

My other tractors also have their roost bars only about 12-18 inches from their floor to fit inside their space, and again at my height... guess you're catching a wisp of chicken math and how it effect people here! :p

The more space you have the better. It gives room to get away from bullies. I have 48 feet of roost up top and about 20 down below in my bigger coop. I have had a lot of birds and also only a few.

Silkie tractor has about 10 ft of roost space. And the other one has about 8. So work within your means and you might find you have to change it up. Adding some in or adjusting their placement. It seems to be a never ending growing and learning process, at least for me. :cool:

ONE KEY... roost MUST be position higher than your lay boxes or they will sleep there. :)

Back
Top Bottom