roost dims?

TaylorC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Fort Collins
I have a 5'x6' south wall, and a 4'x'6 north wall. I want to put two roosts on the south side, one about 1' away from the wall and 3' high. The other should be how far away from the first and how much lower as to be meaningful?
I understand there are two camps regarding the multilevel vs single level roost debate. What I'd like to do is make the second one follow my roof line which would put it at 2" lower and 1' farther from the wall. Any problems with this?
If this is good, I'm thinking of putting the nesting boxes (4' wide and only 6" into the main coop space - the rest being external) underneath this with a poopboard covering it. The water and feeder could go on either side of the nests under the PB saving all of the rest of the floor for roaming. Considering it gets pretty cold here in No CO I'm thinking this would be a good setup in the event they have to stick inside for any extended period.
Feedback is much appreciated!

Wow. I guess it makes sense if you need a foot from the wall, then they might turn around and need a foot the other way. I was hoping to get away with a 2' poop board, from about 4" away from the wall. To pull the board out from the side I need some 4" clearance from the wall (so 8" from under the roost.) If I give the same on the other side of the second roost and separate them by 2' I have 3' 4" x 5' of poop board to pull out every day.
Somebody help me make this smaller! And how can I make it lightweight? I was thinking of a primed/sealed piece of plywood (maybe vinyl flooring over it) but that's not light even at 1/5" thick.

Back
Top Bottom