Roost height

In my opinion, chickens (fully feathered) do not need a heat source *unless* you live in a very very cold environment. As long as you have plenty of ventilation (minimum 1sqft per bird) you should be fine without one. Roosting keeps their feet warm and they tend to tuck their heads into their wings when it gets cold to protect their comb/wattles.

As someone else said, you don’t want your roost and nesting boxes the same height.
Gets to be -12 here occasionally. Sometimes ice storms. Wow, that's a lot of ventilation. We need to cut out more.

Wooden roosts need to be at least 11 inches in my opinion. The gradient needs to match trigonometry ly, if you understand. Eg 11 inches up and 2 inches back

Wooden roosts need to be at least 11 inches in my opinion. The gradient needs to match trigonometry ly, if you understand. Eg 11 inches up and 2 inches back
11 inches from the ground or from the nesting box? I can't remember any particular formulas to calculate gradient. We ended up lowering the boxes to 28" up from the floor. I think the depth of the boxes is about 20." We used an old kitchen wall cabinet for the frame. So that leaves a little over 4' across for them to jump down and there's plenty of hay. Spatially, it looks about right to me now, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

11 inches from the ground or from the nesting box? I can't remember any particular formulas to calculate gradient. We ended up lowering the boxes to 28" up from the floor. I think the depth of the boxes is about 20." We used an old kitchen wall cabinet for the frame. So that leaves a little over 4' across for them to jump down and there's plenty of hay. Spatially, it looks about right to me now, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom