Roost Height...

Chicks23

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Hello Everyone, I recent build a new coop and current have some questions about the height for the roost...

I currently have a roost that is 5 inches off the ground and about 4 feet long. I have a nice heat lamp on one end of the roosting bar since they have only just recently started using coop.

Now...I also have a window in the coop... under the window I have small platform.

The 5 chicks seem to ignore the roost and spend the night in front of window looking out to see what is going on and sleeping there.

My question... do chickens in enjoy looking out window? Are the not using the roost sine the window platform is higher? is this normal..

Just looking for some feedback from others...

Chickens will usually roost in the "highest" roost location.
I have a large coop and have roosts at various heights: 4', 6', and 8'.
The roost at 8' is actually a rafter and I would prefer they not be up there, but that's where they all want to be.
Some will roost on the 6' board, but they all use the 4' roost as a step to get up to the higher boards.
smile.png

Thanks... I think that explains it... the platform under window that I added for them to look out is the highest point. So that is where they all want to roost. I think I will adjust the height of the other roosting bars to make them at the same level. Then they don't have to fight over the window spot... although it is very funny to see they looking out window all night.

Then they don't have to fight over the window spot... although it is very funny to see they looking out window all night.

LOL! I imagine it is. I am in the middle of trying to decide roost, window and next box locations.

Back
Top Bottom