Roost width size? rounded - flat?

stav1981

Chirping
6 Years
May 23, 2013
hi peeps the title says it all really, what widths would my new chickens love the most? shold I get a rounded perch or a flat perch?

so far I have seen a 4 inch wide perch is great so they can cover their toes? I thought at the start i should get a rounded pole of sort but not really sure now. Also how far should the perch be away from a wall? i am hoping to get a poop board in too so how big should i make that too?

The poop board would need to extend at least 12" in either direction as your birds may not all roost the same direction that you plan for them too :) Roost type (round, square rectangle) is subject to a little debate. I think most will go with the wide roost bar but some will say that round is more natural (tree limbs). I use 2x4's wide side up and have no issues. Make sure that it is really smooth though as splinters can cause bumblefoot!.

Chickens roost, not perch. That is, they sit on their feet rather than grasping around a branch or pole. A 4 or 5 inch diameter pole or branch would work as would a 2 x 4 laid on its flat. Of course, they would probably manage with almost anything not too narrow.

I place mine about 12 inches out from the wall so they can turn around without brushing the wall.

Chris

In the wild they would roost in trees. branch diam of 2" or so seems to be favorite.

I use a 2x4 on edge for long spans or 2x2 for short spans of 4' or less.

pipe is often talked about but is a poor choice. PVC is generally to slick and lacks sufficent rigidity, and metal pipe will get to cold. (conducts cold to there feet)

Last edited:
We just built our new coop and used 2x4s placed with the wide side up. So far they seem to love it. Before we had pre-fab coop with small 1-2 inch diameter rounded bars that they almost never used. I would think that wider would be better.

Last edited:
Asking this question is like asking how many angles can square dance on the head of a pin.

I like landscape timbers for roost poles and split or rip mine down the flat way on a table saw, then I turn the rounded portion upwards, sort of kind of giving me (or my chickens) the best (or the worst) of both worlds. Wide, flat, but kind of rounded. When choosing a roosting place in a tree I am sure that chickens factor in the ability of varmints to walk a tight rope to reach them during the night because I often find a 4 pound hen clinging to a twig that is 3/4 of an inch in diameter or less. I also leave enough space above the roost pole so that a rooster can stand on the roost pole, stretch, flap his wings and crow without hitting the bottom of the roof with his wing tips.

Back
Top Bottom