Rooster acting wierd

barbaraann123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
CHARLESTON
Well, I think my 'singing hen' is really a rooster, but I like the 'singing hen' description best,(for the neighbor's sake-
lol.png
) I believe him to be a silver leghorn bantam. Really a laid back handsome guy. He's 4 months now and has been acting like he's trying to dig a nest or something while the hens are around. Makes the oddest noises too. He sometimes will lower his wings and run towards me. I guess it's a threat, but I don't take him seriously. The two golden seabright hens are larger than he is (same age too). Any ideas on what's going on in his head?

Digging a nest -- sounds like he's trying to take a dust bath. Maybe he's showing the girls this is a good place to cool off? Hard to say without seeing it. If he's challenging you, he'll raise the hackle feathers on the back of his neck and stand up tall at you. Dropping his wings is usually a courting move.

Yep. Wing chase=he likes you

As for the nest digging, it depends. Some roosters, especially bantam roosters, will be a gentleman and actually repair every nest in the coop if anything ever messes it up. He could be dust bathing as well. If he lays on his side, and kicks dirt on top of himself, that's the equivalent to a bath.

WEEELLLL...I'm feeling a little giddy. I have already said he was a 'laid back handsome guy' and now you guys tell me he likes me!? The feelings are mutual anyway you look at it! The digging / nesting things happens when they are on the back porch in shavings on a concrete floor. (I have seen him dust bathe and it IS amusing!) He makes these odd sounds and gets relly low like he wants to lay an egg.(?) I don't have nest boxes up as I thought they were too young and Seabrights weren't supposed to be good layers(?) We have had high temps here today and I didn't even put them outside. Left the door open to the enclosed porch with the A/C on. It was supposed to be 115 degrees (index) here. Charleston, SC. Thanks for all input!

He is showing his girls how to make a nest. Discourage the "wings down running at you" behavior. The next step is flogging. Yes, he likes you, but he also regards you as a subordinate member of "his" flock. His next step will be to show his dominance. Do not let him get away with this behavior, and now is the time to nip it in the bud. He needs to know that you are "BOSS."

Quote:
X's 2. He doesn't court someone he fears/respects. When he does his little "I love you" dance, pick him up and carry him around under your arm. He might hate it but it shows you're the boss. Also, stroke his neck and take a handful of hackle feathers (topside, back of his head side) and lightly pushing and holding his head down will tell him you're the boss as well.

Roosters will show the girls what he believes are good nesting sights (and usually the hens pick their own place anyway). He just might be ahead of them on the hormone scale since they aren't laying yet. It's a harmless activity.

There are more to these chickens that meets the eye! So much to learn about them. He has always been the easy one to catch and hold and doesn't seem to mind it at all. I carry them at least twice a day, all three at the same time, and they seem really interested in where they are going. They are inside again today as the temps are supposed to go to 110 degrees.(index) It's just too hot and muggy but I don't want them to get too used to the A/C either. Does the word 'spoiled' come to mind? I will watch him really closely and try that head down shake thing. Thanks for the tip as I have a 4 yr old grandson that I don't want hurt by 'chicken antics'.

Back
Top Bottom