Rooster addicted to mating, and.......!

dluke25

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I have a flock of about 30 dual purpose chickens. 25 are standard size, 5 are bantams. 1 of the 5 bantams is my sole rooster. He's a Barred Rock, I call him "Tiger". Just like Tiger Woods, he's black/white with an addiction to mating.lol Tiger is rough on ALL the girls despite his size. I feel like he breeds every chicken multiple times daily. It just seems so excessive...! The hens can't even grow feathers on their back. Aside from that, multiple times in the last few weeks, I've witnessed some behaviors that I had not seen before. For as dominant as Tiger is, he is being mounted and appears to be being bred, but on the receiving end, by a Bantam Rhode Island Red HEN! They make it look so natural...! What actually is going on here? Why submissive to this one hen? Even more puzzling, is the Hen that mounts him seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order. Is my rooster broken...!?

I appreciate the feedback. Yall comments bought Tiger a little more time on this earth...lol I didn't consider separating him temporarily, to possibly mature into a gentleman, and not be a Harvey Weinstein.lol Overall, he's neighborhood friendly, so I hope he does mature. I know every rooster is different, but is there an age that you'd expect them to have reached maturity?

Around 1 or 1 and a half is when most mature enough. Mine overbred until two, but he's mellowed out and been excellent this spring. Since you have 29 hens, how has he managed to overbreed every single one?

Back
Top Bottom