Rooster and distance to neighbors

Pollo Posada

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Mount Airy, MD
Approximately how close does a neighbor have to be to hear a rooster crow to the point where it is loud and annoying?

To me, he seems loud. My closest neighbor is maybe 300 feet away. I have no neighbors around here a rooster to judge crowing at a distance. Do you think that they can hear him inside their house at that distance?

Just wondering and worried...

YES!!!! you bet they can, I have my coop/run's 500' from my house and I can hear him loud and clear. Remember that sound travels better in the dark and also does with the wind, so early morning when your boy's are gettin jiggy they can be heard up to 1 mile away.

AL

My closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. She can hear him, but fortunately loves the sound of a rooster crowing. She's also one of my best egg customers, so I guess that helps.
wink.png

Where I live people don't get uptight about little things like a rooster's crow, no more than I get upset about their cows bawling when they take their calves away. The bawling goes on for at least three days straight, night and day by the way.

Last edited:
Over here it's a law that you can't keep a rooster unless you live at least 60m away from your nearest neighbour.

If they still want to complain, then there's nothing they can do about it coz you're not doing anything wrong
wink.png

It's a pity I live in the city- I'd love some baby chicks

But I'm not really a country girl. I'd probably freak out living in the country.

Almost two miles away I can hear the "neighbors" rooster crow, when the wind is just right. We are all farmers, so no one cares about the noise.

one of our nieghbors live oh I'd say 1/2 a mile away and well when our roosters start crowing their rooster starts crowing and well they have a "contest" it is hilarious!
clap.gif

-T

Back
Top Bottom