Rooster attacked by dog :( Updated with pictures of his injuries

ThreeLittleCritters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 15, 2011
Athens, GA
We've had our rooster less than a week. He was attacked by a small dog today and so far it really doesn't look good. No obvious life threatening injuries. He is missing feathers near his vent and on his back, but no bleeding. He can stand, but isn't walking or taking any food or water. He pooped once and it appeared normal (no blood). He has a hard time holding his head up. He can do it but not for very long and he ends up standing with his head resting on the ground. My husband found him during the attack. The dog was shaking him so I'm worried about brain damage. What would the symptoms of brain damage be in a rooster? I assume that if his neck was broken that he wouldn't even be able to stand.

Right now he is in a dark, quiet room. I've wrapped him with a towel. I'll try to force some electrolyte fluids in him later this afternoon if he's still alive. He seems to be getting more and more lethargic so my hopes aren't very high. The poor guy. He had the best personality ever so I'm very upset that this happened to him.

Ironically, I was out buying an incubator when he was attacked. Hubby left the dog outside and forgot to put her up before he left. When he got home it wasn't a pretty sight. Hubby was about to put him out of his misery but then he stood up on his own so we're waiting it out to see how he does. Are we wasting our time? I don't want to make him suffer if it doesn't seem like he's going to make it but I hate to put him down if there's a chance that he'll pull through. Tough choices!

Last edited:
He could have suffered some internal injuries to his abdomen or neurological injuries to his neck or head. Wry neck is common with head and neck injuries, but I'm not sure that is what you are seeing with his neck drooping, but it may be neurological in origin. Since he is more lethargic, he could be suffering from shock, but also from internal bleeding. Just watch him closely, keep the stimulation and noise down, keep him warm, and if he is awake offer him electrolyte water. Don't try forcing water, and don't worry about food until tomorrow if he is better. Does he have open wounds? Weak betadine, or soap and water clean up with Neosporin ointment applied would be good if he does. Prednisone might help him if he has wry neck. Here are 2 good links about wry neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! After reading the articles I don't think that he has wry neck. I guess that we will just have to wait and see how he does. He's such a sweet rooster and we were so excited to get him on Friday.

Keep him warm,try and get some electrolytes into him for shock. Chickens do not deal well with any kind stress,so an injury/attack is extremely traumatic to them.

He may have a suffered head trauma,such as a concussion type injury,some symptoms of concussion are: weakness,dilated or constricted pupils,disorientated,sleeping,dizziness,nausea,lethargic. Check his pupils are they of equal size?

I am concerned about weakness in neck,could be due to injury in head/neck or weakness. Try and keep him very calm as any increase in excitement/stress,increases blood pressure which increases brain swelling. Normally we would suggest aspirin for pain/swelling,but b/c of the unknown internal/possibly bleeding,aspirin is not recommended just yet. The next 24 hours will probably determine which way he will go.

Note: often when birds are ill/injured they do not eat/drink,after not eating/drinking for a period of time(each bird is different)they will not eat,just lay there with eyes closed and starve/become dehydrated and die,if no intervention begins. I am recommending you look into tube feeding just in case.
this is a very good link explaining tube feeding.

www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Thank you ten chicks! His pupils are both the same size. I think that they are a little dilated, but not too bad. He seems about the same or slightly better this morning. He stood up on his own when I walked in to check on him. If I pick him up to move him he perks up and holds his head up, but once I set him down he slowly drops his head back down. He drank some electrolyte water on his own. Then I mixed a raw egg in with the electrolyte water and he drank that as well. But when I checked on him he had thrown it up. I'll try to get him to drink some more in a little while. I figured that he could use some rest. I'm really really really hoping that he's just really sore and that his neck will improve with some time. Poor guy. He's had 4 poops since the attack and all of them have been normal in color. No blood. The poops from this morning are runny but he's only getting liquids at this point. I haven't noticed any swelling. I've found more spots where he's missing feathers, but still no deep wounds. I'm honestly surprised that he made in through the night. I'm a little more hopeful than I was yesterday but I know he's not out of the woods yet.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Good luck with your rooster!

It is amazing what they can recover from if given the chance. You already have gotten excellent advice. As long as he is drinking water/electrolytes, I wouldn't worry if he doesn't eat for a day or two. Just make sure his favorite foods are available and within his reach. Keep him warm and quiet.

We have a hen who was almost skinned alive by a stray pit bull. She has since recovered, although hasn't laid an egg since the attack last August. We have also saved young chickens from hawk attacks with deep puncture wounds.

If you find wounds, a nice bath in a sink full of warm water and dilute Betadine will help disinfect the wounds you find as well as others that may be hidden beneath feathers. Just make sure he has a nice warm place to dry thoroughly afterward. I don't usually put any kind of ointment on wounds, because that makes the feathers stick to the wounds, which I think would be painful or irritating.

Good to hear is is awake,his dropping neck could definitely be due to pain/head trauma/neck trauma. There is no discharge/leaking from nostrils/eyes/ears(often clear or possibly blood tinged w head trauma/concussion)or blood leaking from ears/nostrils/eyes?

Keep him quiet and calm this is really the best thing for him now. Encourage drinking,do not worry just yet about food,keep offering it to him,but do not be surprised if he does not eat. Try offering some favourite foods(bananas are always a favourite of my roosters when injured). Runny/watery poops are from not eating solid food,just drinking.

Note: No bathing him in this condition.

Last edited:
Eyes, nostrils, ears are all clear with no drainage. He did seem to have some clear mucus from his mouth after he drank. It seemed thicker than the electrolyte water which is why I consider it mucus. I took him to the window so he could see the girls in the yard and he cocked his head to the side a few times while looking at them. It was the most normal looking that he's been since the attack so that's encouraging.

I am a little worried about infection. The skin where he lost feathers looks better today than it did yesterday but there are some scabs. What type of antibiotics would y'all suggest? I've been reading posts on here about antibiotics and it sounds like I can get some at Tractor Supply or another feed store. We've had chickens for 2 years and this is our first injury.

Are his wounds severe(bite marks,etc)or just a result of feathers being pulled out from attack? Vetericyn is an excellent product for wound care or you can use an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane" toxic to chickens).

Watch for infection in wounds,signs of infection are: redness/swelling,spreading redness/swelling,foul smell from wounds,lethargic,not eating/drinking,black tissue(necrotic/dead,has to be removed as this is dead tissue and can cause a serious infection/life threatening).

Aspirin is recommended for pain,my concern is still unknown possible internal bleeding from head trauma,although his being awake is a good sign. Try aspirin,see if you notice any improvement due to pain relief. You can give a low dose aspirin (81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese)or crush and sprinkle over feed or dissolve one 325mg aspirin in 1 gallon of water,dosage works out to be about the same as 25mg per lb of body weight.

Back
Top Bottom