Rooster behavior

Hi, all. I have my first rooster and I need some help. Currently, I have 9 hens (3 are 2 years, 3 are 4.5 months and 3 are 9.5 weeks). The rooster is 4.5 months. I am trying to integrate the 9.5 week old pullets into the flock but have been unsuccessful. The rooster has picked out one and is terrorizing her. He keeps trying to mount her but she is too little and I'm afraid he will kill her. I currently have the three pullets inside of a dog cage in the coop. They only interact when I'm monitoring. I don't want to keep them caged any longer (they've been there 2.5 weeks) but I want to keep them safe. The rooster is trying to mount all of the other hens but they are better able to handle it. I am rooster clueless so I don't know the best strategy. So far, he is pretty aggressive with the hens but has never attacked me. He flaps and crows at me. I try to pick him up and walk around with him occasionally because I read that could help to prevent him attacking me someday. Anyway, ANY help or advice would be appreciated. We got this boy on accident and I'm feeling very overwhelmed.

Hi, all. I have my first rooster and I need some help. Currently, I have 9 hens (3 are 2 years, 3 are 4.5 months and 3 are 9.5 weeks). The rooster is 4.5 months. I am trying to integrate the 9.5 week old pullets into the flock but have been unsuccessful. The rooster has picked out one and is terrorizing her. He keeps trying to mount her but she is too little and I'm afraid he will kill her. I currently have the three pullets inside of a dog cage in the coop. They only interact when I'm monitoring. I don't want to keep them caged any longer (they've been there 2.5 weeks) but I want to keep them safe. The rooster is trying to mount all of the other hens but they are better able to handle it. I am rooster clueless so I don't know the best strategy. So far, he is pretty aggressive with the hens but has never attacked me. He flaps and crows at me. I try to pick him up and walk around with him occasionally because I read that could help to prevent him attacking me someday. Anyway, ANY help or advice would be appreciated. We got this boy on accident and I'm feeling very overwhelmed.
Hi dreamerD...
Two questions: do you want your hens to raise chicks?
did you read post #7 in this thread?

Hi dreamerD...
Two questions: do you want your hens to raise chicks?
did you read post #7 in this thread?

I just read it after I posted :). I do not want to raise chicks. When I found out it was a boy, I decided to try to keep him for protection of the flock. So far, he seems to respect us as the boss. He has never come at us and he moves out of the way for me when I walk through and he lets me "shoo" him out of the coop, etc.
In regard to separating them, is it best to keep the pullets separate from him or him separate from the pullets? I don't actually have somewhere separate I could keep him at this point. The pullets that are his age seem to tolerate him well. It's the youngest ones that I worry about. I personally don't want to keep him but my boyfriend does so I am trying to make it work.

SueT has a good point. Why are you keeping him? You really don't need a rooster unless you plan on breeding your hens. If you decide to keep that cockerel, I'd put him in with the older hens and let them teach him some manners. I wouldn't put the pullets with him until they're ready. If you don't want to deal with a rooster, then maybe you want to think about culling him. (To "cull" simply means to remove from the flock. That can be anything from putting him in your freezer to giving him away) You are the only one who knows how much nonsense you're willing to put up with from a chicken, and how miserable you want your hens to be. Remember - stressed hens don't lay well...

(I see you posted just before I did.)

SueT has a good point. Why are you keeping him? You really don't need a rooster unless you plan on breeding your hens. If you decide to keep that cockerel, I'd put him in with the older hens and let them teach him some manners. I wouldn't put the pullets with him until they're ready. If you don't want to deal with a rooster, then maybe you want to think about culling him. (To "cull" simply means to remove from the flock. That can be anything from putting him in your freezer to giving him away) You are the only one who knows how much nonsense you're willing to put up with from a chicken, and how miserable you want your hens to be. Remember - stressed hens don't lay well...

(I see you posted just before I did.)

It was suggested to me that a rooster could defend the flock. We have had issues with dogs, hawks and raccoons. They currently only free range when they're supervised by me. I want him to be more of a help than a hassle though. So far, it has been the latter.

Pen him up separately but next to or within the coop. Worry about integrating the chicks with the older hens. I personally would keep him penned separately until late fall or early winter before attempting to let him interact again. He needs to mature more, and you hens and chicks don't need the constant harassment of him and his hormonal urges.

I have had many a bad rooster turn good when managed until he matures more.

For now I would let the pullets out and let them get used to your older hens. Put the rooster in the cage and keep him separate. You can try letting him out in a few weeks. Hopefully by then he will have calmed down, and the young pullets will be bigger and better able to handle him. If he is still acting like a jerk, I would consider culling him. As for a rooster defending the flock, while they may help sound the alarm sooner, if a dog, fox or other predator decides to go on a rampage, there's not much a rooster can do.
Good luck with your flock!

For now I would let the pullets out and let them get used to your older hens. Put the rooster in the cage and keep him separate. You can try letting him out in a few weeks. Hopefully by then he will have calmed down, and the young pullets will be bigger and better able to handle him. If he is still acting like a jerk, I would consider culling him. As for a rooster defending the flock, while they may help sound the alarm sooner, if a dog, fox or other predator decides to go on a rampage, there's not much a rooster can do.
Good luck with your flock!

Agreed. A dominant hen can keep watch and sound the alarm just as well as a rooster. He has no defense against a dog, hawk, fox, or multitude of other predators. There are roosters who will sacrifice themselves to save the flock, but then what? You're still out that rooster.

Back
Top Bottom