Rooster behaviour query

linkchips

Chirping
Jan 23, 2023
I have 8 week old pullets that are fully featured and enjoying their more spacious coop and to be out of the puppy playpen brooder. I also have a 1 year old rooster with his 2 ladies in another coop. I am hoping to integrate the flocks after a few weeks of eyeing either through the fence.
My concern is the rooster. He is a bit unpredictable and will nip my feet at times - usually its him protecting his ladies. However, recently he has been over-mating with his ladies and their back feathers are suffering. No blood, but wow - its not pretty. Will he go after the new girls - or will he ignore until they become of age? What should I be looking out for?
Any suggestions, tips and ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

The only way to know what will happen is to integrate them and watch. If the rooster tries mounting the pullets, you could separate him for a few weeks or months, or separate the two groups again.

The rooster will be receptive to the pullets when they begin to lay. Before that happen he will attack them and probably draw blood on them. So you need to wait a while. During this time, keep the old and new birds separated.

Back
Top Bottom