Rooster behaviour

schnebbles

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Indian Lake, Ohio
Hi -

I have a d'uccle cockerel and a silkie cockerel.

When my d'uccle kind of puts his wings out away from his body, is he trying to protect his girl from me? I usually pick him right up and kiss him (he's easy to pick up and I've always loved on him the most, I read recently that might not be good but it was too late) - he never gets mad or anything, I just wondered if that's what he thinks he's doing.

today my silkie boy (about 7 months) kind of tried to run in front of my when I was going to walk up the deck steps. He's never done anything like that. Is he starting to be a true roo? lol! I picked him up too. I've been holding him more because he seems friendlier. He was a stinker when he was small, hard to catch. I brought him in yesterday and weighed him. He's so darn cute! I'm going to keep watching at how he acts, just curious!

It sounds like your D'uccle might be a hen. The holding the wings away from the body thing is something hens do in preperation for mating/sign of submission.

no, he's very loud crowing boy! He crows a lot. He only holds them a little bit away, I thought to make himself look bigger. Would he be submissive to me? He's my baby, I've always held him more than anyone just because it was fun to catch and kiss on him. He's not agressive at all, just a little bigger looking when he does that.

Back
Top Bottom