Rooster being bullied

beckadlphn

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015
Ten Mile, TN
I have 3 hens, a buff orpington and a brama. They are 1 1/2 years old. I decided to get a rooster, a 4 month old silver laced wyandotte. My hens are pecking him, not to the point of bleeding. They just chase him around the pen. He isn't crowing or trying to establish dominance. This has went on for 5 days. Do I just need to seperate them? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Yes, I think the age difference explains why they are picking on him. But at 4 months it won't be long until he ascends to the top of the pecking order as the rooster. I've had the same thing happen to young roosters but usually it only happened when he was getting too big for his britches and an older hen put him in his place - they didn't actually pester him, just retaliated when he pestered them. If it was me, as long as he can escape I'd just let things work themselves out naturally. If the run is small and he can't, I would separate for 3-4 more weeks - he should be able to hold his own by then.

Thank you so much for that. Yes, our coop is rather small. We plan on building a bigger one at a later date. I will try your suggestion. He is so beautiful I don't want anything to happen to him.

Was he there for the start or did u just put him in a flock if he was there from the start they probably just figuring out the pecking order they will sort it out in a week or it is just the rooster being a jerk as always

And if u just but hi there put him in there at night when everyone is sleeping the won't really care who it is because there so tired and they think he is part of the flock I think that's how it goes

Keeping them apart will only prolong the outcome your looking for...As long as they are not trying to kill him? As you stated they chase him...He will be fine. Leave them to work it out...He will figure things out as long as no interference is taking place.

I introduced a young roo to my young hens and the same thing happened. They chased him around for about a week. He started chasing them for a few days after that first week and now everyone gets along. I never did anything to stop it. He follows them all around like a lost puppy now.

Back
Top Bottom