Rooster Blessed

Michael..... did your Aussie Roo's have other roosters around? We have three definite roosters, and after much research tonight on identifying two of our other chickens, I am positive I have a fourth rooster. I'm going to post pictures tomorrow of the fourth one that I think is a rooster and see what y'all say. Hoping I am wrong. When I say he's aggressive, I mean he puts the hens in line and makes the other roosters back away. He's not aggressive with us.

Michael..... did your Aussie Roo's have other roosters around? We have three definite roosters, and after much research tonight on identifying two of our other chickens, I am positive I have a fourth rooster. I'm going to post pictures tomorrow of the fourth one that I think is a rooster and see what y'all say. Hoping I am wrong. When I say he's aggressive, I mean he puts the hens in line and makes the other roosters back away. He's not aggressive with us.

That's good. It's been awhile since I had any roosters (I have only kept hens recently), but the last three roosters I had were an Australorp, a Buff Orpington, and a Golden Polish. I know that Polish are usually on the bottom of the pecking order in a mixed flock, but not that rooster. His name was Ivan and he ruled the roost. He pummeled the other two roosters whenever they were near and tried to spur anyone who got to close (except me). Interestingly, he never was aggressive with me. I had butchered many roosters previously, but I didn't have the heart to kill Ivan, so I gave him to a neighbor who wanted to use him for breeding purposes (even though I suggested that he might not want to breed Ivan's temperament into his offspring). I guess that episode with Ivan just reinforces the idea that where chickens are concerned there are always exceptions to every rule.

Alright Tracy,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

BYC has a section on cooking poultry ,,,,, but yes some people have roosters for pets and if you free range your chickens leave the roosters out and keep the hens in a coop for their own safety and egg collection and one rooster in the coop ......

Just an idea ....

This is the one I think might be our 4th rooster. I spent a lot of time looking at photos last night on the internet. Now I am positive he is a Rhode Island Red rooster. All of you, please tell me I am wrong. No crowing yet, but I'm pretty certain the she is a he.

Back
Top Bottom