Rooster chick?

chena16c

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
Austin, TX
So I'm in need to know if this little bugger is a rooster. One by one my chicks have gone missing. Most were free ranging, 2 were new babies in the coop. So I had 2 left. One was about a month and a half and then this guy whom I got from someone who got it from someone else. Maybe a little over a month and a half old. I started closing the 2 left up in the coop with the rest of the "teenager" pullets and the hens. I came out this morning to find just this little guy free ranging about (they can fit through the wire still) but the other one was not to be found. Well After opening the run to let everyone free range I found the missing chick, dead, and pretty much only a head and a wing.

Long story short, this guy is scared of the "teenager" pullets so he doesn't fit in with them yet, but is all alone now, which I know isn't good either. My thought was if it was a rooster I could find someone who wants him and add to their chicks. Other than that I'm unsure of what to do. He's loud....so loud, and almost non-stop cheeping. Used to take the other chick to some tall grass to lay in, in the middle of the yard, instead of going into their old cage or coop at night (I had never seen my chicks do that before), and he has this comb already. It's probably a bit redder in real life then in this picture. He's a mixed breed....not sure what of, the lady thought Americauna and something else, but I'm not seeing it. She also told me it was a girl (so much for the pendulum swinging theory).

So I need to know possible sex in order to rehome with other chicks of it's age. Is he to old to take on new hatchery chicks?

65316_rooster.jpg

Firstly it looks like you have a little guy there! secondly i have been sticking newly hatched chicks under my broody and now there all different ages and get along fine, i think because he's on his own he might take to them better but you can never be sure, i think just go with what you know
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom