Rooster Collar Opinions?

RainyDayChickens

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
Due to what's going on in my area, getting chicks will soon be very hard, and im considering a Rooster, to help with the pecking in the flock, protection, aswell as being able to rely on myself to provide chicks for meat and eggs.
And one problem is my neighbors, they have voiced that a loud crow at 3:30 am is not okay, and I get that! So now I'm considering a No crow Rooster collar, I know they can be a very sensitive area, so let's not argue, just inform and chat a bit about how we all feel about the usage of these to help soften a loud roosters crow.
I'm very open to ideas! This just sounds like a good option for my situation!

Personally if it was me I would try to keep my rooster at a friends house .Those collars kill roosters if anything gets stuck in their throat You might have to change their feed .Roosters crow when predators frighten them or they're startled. Mine has only crowed once after dark.The hens were hollering too.

I have seen the collars used on roosters. Something that is usually not mentioned about them is that they stunt the feathers they’re covering on the neck, causing ingrown feathers and an uncomfortable itchy feeling for the rooster. I would not use a crow collar unless I absolutely had to, and I would only use it as a temporary measure.

I would rather keep mine somewhere he is safe than put a collar on him(especially if he was going to be free ranged)You can't expect a rooster to give alerts with a band around his neck.

I have seen the collars used on roosters. Something that is usually not mentioned about them is that they stunt the feathers they’re covering on the neck, causing ingrown feathers and an uncomfortable itchy feeling for the rooster. I would not use a crow collar unless I absolutely had to, and I would only use it as a temporary measure.
I never thought of that! Alot of these threads are really helping me. And I might go for a bantam rooster, no collar.

I would rather keep mine somewhere he is safe than put a collar on him(especially if he was going to be free ranged)You can't expect a rooster to give alerts with a band around his neck.
Personally if it was me I would try to keep my rooster at a friends house .Those collars kill roosters if anything gets stuck in their throat You might have to change their feed .Roosters crow when predators frighten them or they're startled. Mine has only crowed once after dark.The hens were hollering too.
Yes, I've been reading a bit more and I'm starting to no longer want the collar, I might try a bantam, hopefully it works better

Something I am working on with my flock is to surround their coop/run with evergreen style trees/bushes. The more foliage you can provide around where the roo lives, the more sound dampening you get. Evergreen was chosen so that we also get the sound dampening in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom