Rooster comb a little discolored

knightgang

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
Southeast, GA
I just noticed this afternoon that the comb on my rooster is a little discolored. It may have been this way for a while, I don't know. He acts normal like nothing is wrong.

Maybe I just got paranoid when I saw it because I was reading in here about other chickens wit discolored combs that ended up sick and passing.

Did I just get paranoid, what do you think?
e51a40651e51e301b2725748b422b575.jpg

8b1213addfea6724b8709b3315a5c212.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In roosters with very large combs sometimes will become a little discolored on the tips or toward the rear of the comb, and that may be perfectly normal. My black copper Marans Rooster had that pretty often. I wouldn't worry unless the whole comb becomes dark, especially since he seems active and alert.

Last edited:
Combs can be misleading due to dirt, dust, and dryness. If you doubt what you're seeing is the true color, massage in some oil or lotion to moisten the tissue. That will give you a true reading of the color.

From the photos, your boy appears in very good health. Very handsome, too.

Combs can be misleading due to dirt, dust, and dryness. If you doubt what you're seeing is the true color, massage in some oil or lotion to moisten the tissue. That will give you a true reading of the color.

From the photos, your boy appears in very good health. Very handsome, too.
Thanks, I think he is a very pretty rooster. He is a good one too. He projects the girls well, and already has all of the pullets in line as they free range together, but are currently in separate coops. He does not like to be caught and held though. He is not mean to me or the family. Showed aggression only once when I was holding one of the pullets, but that really was only a show cause he was still 3 feet away and never got closer. I stomped at him and he has never done it since. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I figured I was paranoid but wanted to be sure. Don't want birds to stop dropping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom