Rooster crowing very loudly

Quote:
I agree, if your allowed to have a rooster, keep your rooster. Maybe you can move the chicken run to a different location farther away from the complaining neighbor. I understand that the night shift sucks and knowing how hard it is I also know you will learn to sleep through the noises from neighbors. Been there, done that. I would also offer a pair of ear plugs and a carton of eggs.
hmm.png

What thery said. Honestly, why are the bird owners the onee who are supposed to do all the sacrifiving for "good relations"?

I've worked the night shift; my husband worked the night shift for 10 years. It's just a fact of life that you need to invest in a good set of earplugs and a source of whire noise. Otherwise, you aren't going to get any sleep. If they force you to get rid of your rooster are they also going to dictate when you can mow your grass? That children in the neighborhood aren't allowed to play outside before a certain hour? That the construcion site down the block isn't allowed to come in before she is ready to get out of bed?

All of those things are part of "normal" daytime noise (including your rooster) and are exempt from noise ordaninces. Now if you aren't allowed to have the rooster, shame on you and you should cull/rehome him without a second thought. It wouldn't be your neighbor's fault for reporting an illegal activity.

Reading the responses it appears the consensus is sympathy towards your neighbour and to be honest I could not agree more. However, my neighbour ( lives 2 doors down actually), has been keeping chickens and a rooster for a while now. Although at first we did find the noise to be a bit off putting, it appears, we may have got used to it.

Are you not content with keeping the chickens, do you really need to also have the rooster? As even if it is not against any local noise regulations, I personally would sacrifice my personal pleasure to keep my neighbours happy.

Alternatively, why not buy them some ear plugs for sleeping !

Regards. John.

well in theory a rooster won't crow unless he can lift his head, so attaching a string from his foot to his head or high neck would prevent him from lifting his head and stop the crowing. it's a theory and not sure how you would attach the string, or if it would be comfortable for him to wear.

Quote:
I actually had the same idea as you except that if you attach the string to his leg, he can't walk properly without bending his head every time he takes a step, maybe attaching it to his body?

Quote:
I agree. But, if you live somewhere that it IS legal to keep a rooster, keep him. It's not your fault that she is a light sleeper. Then again, I live in the country, so I'm used to hearing the neighbors animals. (And I know they hear mine.)

Quote:
I agree. But, if you live somewhere that it IS legal to keep a rooster, keep him. It's not your fault that she is a light sleeper. Then again, I live in the country, so I'm used to hearing the neighbors animals. (And I know they hear mine.)

I live in the country and I was sort of thinking the opposite.
smile.png
My neighbours are good people and I sort of feel it's important to keep n their good books because they're the ones that lend us their trailer for moving wood or look after our chickens when we're away or whatever. If I had a roo that was keeping one of them from sleep, much as I love my roos, it would be stew.

Back
Top Bottom