Rooster defensive of coop toward everyone but me

HumbleAmerican

Songster
Nov 3, 2021
I've eaten my fair share of nasty temperamented cockerels/roosters. Typically they're obnoxious and aggressive to everyone.

My current RIR cockerel (6-8 months old) keeps his harem tightly gathered and is protective of them to outside sources. (Neighbors terrier, a hawk, house cat, etc)

Weird issue. He isn't human aggressive away from his coop. Approach the harem and he's very observant and typically first contact. My son (15) a few days ago said eleven (his tally mark) slapped his legs when he went to close up the coop. I thought it weird and told him to ignore him and walk through him if it happened again. Sure enough, next day he flapped and bumped his knees. Kiddo walked right through him like he didn't exist. Hasn't offered to be aggressive since. Figured maybe he's a touch stressed because I also have been chicken training a young pup who loves the fact he fluffs up and plays chase. (Don't worry. She's fixed that notion as a bad idea)

Anyhow. Day and a half later my mom comes by and wants to look at the rabbits. He comes out of the coop as she's walking by..... then flaps and bumps her knee.

I've either had them be aggressive to everyone..... or not. Never have I had a rooster/cockerel be well mannered to me and a little turd to others. Hoping he's not showing his colors. It would be nice to keep him around. Just the fact he fought the neighbors jack Russell and won gives him browny points.

I've either had them be aggressive to everyone..... or not. Never have I had a rooster/cockerel be well mannered to me and a little turd to others.
I have. When he was a cockerel he attacked me once but quickly learned to not do that again. When I took a trip he attacked my chicken sitter. She had to carry a stick to protect herself. So I got a different chicken sitter. He was never attacked and soon had that boy eating out of his hand. I had another that would leave me alone but was a risk to anyone else. Neither of these lasted that long.

I'm not sure why. I do believe they can pick up on the attitude of the person. If they are scared of him he can be a bully. If they are more confident they leave them alone. Roosters have been known to attack people wearing certain clothing. Boots may set them off where other footwear doesn't. Or certain colors may get an attack. I think some cockerels and roosters are more self-assured and confident where others are less sure of themselves and can be more nervous. Each one has its own personality.

He's still relatively young, maybe acting more like a cockerel than a mature rooster. It may be something he may grow out of. But if you are assessing which ones to keep and which to eat I would consider this one a volunteer to give his life to protect his siblings. I believe you can sometimes train a boy top not attack you but that does not mean he won't attack someone else.

He's a cockerel, trying things out, as RR said. He might get much worse, so be ready! IMO, roosters shouldn't think of humans as threats, rather be watching for raptors and actual ground predators, and taking care of their flock.
If you are the only person he interacts with, and he's fine with you (so far!) that's great. If you will have other people out there too, at least warn them, have him confined when they are present, and/ or be ready to deal with injuries, sometimes severe.
And small children are definitely at risk!
Mary

I definitely don't hesitate to cull a rooster. If it was more than a bump and/or he persisted he would already be resting waiting for rigor to pass.

I've just never had one pick and choose who gets flogged.

Poor guy, definitely not smart!
We've only had one bird, over thirty years, die in a stock tank. He was a cute frizzle bantam. Friends lost two, again over decades. So not that frequent an event, in my experience.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom