rooster falls over

Broosters flock

Hatching
Aug 15, 2021
Our adult Silkie rooster hasn't been able to make a sound for a couple weeks. We've had him for about 6 months but I'm not sure how old he is.
I now can't tell if he's trying really hard or maybe having a hard time breathing? He falls over and lays down, appearing to struggle breathing, for a half hour or more. He is eating and drinking well in between. His eyes appear to water when he's down. Sometimes his head reaches way back and looks very uncomfortable. This has been happening for about 24hrs.
I'm new to chickens and this is our first rooster. I never realized there would be so much to learn about chickens! This site is so helpful!

Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's?

Sounds like he's having a seizure or some type of neurological problem. If you can get a video of his actions, that may be helpful.

What do you feed?

You can try vitamin therapy - 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give a treat of eggs to help with the uptake of E.

Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's?

Sounds like he's having a seizure or some type of neurological problem. If you can get a video of his actions, that may be helpful.

What do you feed?

You can try vitamin therapy - 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give a treat of eggs to help with the uptake of E.
We don't know anything about his history but I'll look into what he's eating.

Back
Top Bottom