rooster frustration ,and my roo is a chicken

old geezer

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
cambridge , ny
i finally have 2 roo's after waiting 2 yrs and hatching a bunch of eggs-
celebrate.gif
--both roos are RI reds--button is a tad over 3 month's old----and josey wales is a bit over 2 month's---here's the rub--button who used to love to be picked up is now skitterish and does not like to be picked up anymore-
he.gif
--is this normal for the roo and RI reds ? and he also gets bullied by all the hens---josey still likes to get picked up-- but is now starting to give me the look...
he.gif
th.gif
hit.gif
.......neither is agressive toward me ,and all i heard as far as a cackle is 1 squack about 1 month ago from button--
rant.gif
..again --when do they crow , and is this a normal attitude for rooster's..
tongue.gif

I have a BO roo Mr Russell Crowe that was a lap chicken that I could pick up and hold and would follow me everywhere..I introduced him to the older ladies and they kicked his butt daily..now he is about 9 months old and I would not even think about picking him up..once his hormones took over he became THE man!! My other roo is a silkie Mr Sammie davis is still a baby and he is about 6 months old..he has started with the little side dance and is not liking the getting picked up part as much(too bad for him he is small enough that I can always pick him up!) I think it is normal roo behavior and some roos are gentle and can be handled others well..not so much!! Once they get the hormones running the show..they can either be sweet or just plain jerks! The crowing will just happen...it is the funniest sound ever for the first few times...like someone is standing on their necks...:) So yes I think your boys are acting normal and you will see a change in their personalities as they get older..the teenage years can be all attitude!

Back
Top Bottom