Rooster has a red raw looking butt

Shimmerpuppy

Chirping
Mar 31, 2022
Hi all,
We've noticed that our rooster has a super red, raw looking butt. We've checked for mites and lice, and saw none. I have noticed any messy poo feathers on him that might indicate gleet. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, no lethargy...it just looks really bad. He has a harem of 11 hens that he services.

My question is, any ideas what might be cause the bald red bum? And what can I do to fix it?

Any possibility that the hens are plucking his butt feathers?
I don't think so. He is the alpha head honcho, and I don't see him allowing anybody to pluck him. I have watched them when they range, and haven't seen any of that behavior. I guess they could in the morning before we let them out of the coop, but again...I don't think he'd put up with that.

Is it possible that this is just molting combined with an active sex life?

High hormone levels can explain the redness, but unless there are developing pin/blood feathers it does not sound like molting. Roosters frequently allow their hens to groom them. This can escalate to feather plucking, but is generally around the neck and face.

High hormone levels can explain the redness, but unless there are developing pin/blood feathers it does not sound like molting. Roosters frequently allow their hens to groom them. This can escalate to feather plucking, but is generally around the neck and face.
I will take a good look at roost time to ight to see if I see any pin feathers popping out. I'll also watch closer for any feather pluckers.

Thank you so much for your ideas!

Back
Top Bottom