Rooster Has Been Attacked

stringunion

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2021
So sad for my roo- Loxlee... I came home to him being terrorized & attacked by a little maltese-yorkie mix dog (a visitor's dog of the neighbors)... That little dog is so lucky my rooster is a 'nice' rooster and did not pluck out it's eyeballs. I'm just so sad for him... and hope that we can heal him back to normal again. I've been reading that his feathers may not return. I sprayed colloidal silver on the area last night when I could hold him, but today he is not willing to let me get near him. I am trying to keep him where he is used to with the other hens- but want to avoid them picking at him or flys landing on the area. May need to bring him inside perhaps? Any advice is welcome... Thank you in advance.

His poor spirit is devastated & ruined right now.

Attachments

• e791885be048e2da6dc16a80cdd1f471e4816c05-1.jpg
    e791885be048e2da6dc16a80cdd1f471e4816c05-1.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 62af51ccc2e4891f5e6cb3873eefe127aa3b41c7-1.jpg
    62af51ccc2e4891f5e6cb3873eefe127aa3b41c7-1.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210703_180345.jpg
    20210703_180345.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 31
You need to separate him and probably keep him indoors.

When your ready work on him make sure you have someone to hold him.

Wash your hands first. And apply antiseptic then squirt a blob of neosporin directly on the wound, then use a cotton swab to spread it to cover the entire area, it will be a barrier against bacteria in the air. No need for bandages. Do that once a day for 3 days or till you can see it healing. Let him rest.

Greetings stringunion,

So sorry to hear about your poor roo. Dog's of all sizes are definite predators of chickens. Beaks are no match for teeth.

Yes, the wound can be pecked by the hens. But the biggest concern would be the flies. Flies will surely land on that exposed area and lay eggs, flystrike. Then the rooster will be in trouble. If the wound in not a deep puncture you can spray some Blu-Kote on the area. That will discourage pecking, flies and infection.

The best time to handle the rooster is after the sun goes down. Once it is dark the rooster will be sleepy and easier to handle. Take him off the perch, and wrap him in a bath towel to restrain him. Leave his rear end uncovered so you can examine the wound. Wear a head lamp or have someone help with a bright flashlight. Or take him into the house and care for him there. Dog bites carry a lot of bacteria into a wound. You should clean the wound with an antiseptic. Have your supplies already prepared. Use some Blu-Kote ready if the wound isn't serious. Some sterile gauze should be used for cleaning, also some povidone iodine, chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide or some other antiseptic to clean the wound, initially. Be gentle, yet thorough, when cleaning the area/wound. I use colloidal silver as well. It is a good antibacterial, however, a wound should always be cleaned first, then, apply the colloidal silver. Neosporin can be used, after cleaning the wound. Check the area/wound each day to make sure it is not getting infected. The first 3 days are critical. It should be healed in about 14 days.
blu-kote.jpg

The rooster's self confidence will return in a couple of weeks or sooner since he has some ladies to cheer him up.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessings to Mr. Loxlee for a speedy healing and long life! :)

You need to separate him and probably keep him indoors.

When your ready work on him make sure you have someone to hold him.

Wash your hands first. And apply antiseptic then squirt a blob of neosporin directly on the wound, then use a cotton swab to spread it to cover the entire area, it will be a barrier against bacteria in the air. No need for bandages. Do that once a day for 3 days or till you can see it healing. Let him rest.
Thank you so much for your insight and advice 🙏 He is in such a sad state.

Greetings stringunion,

So sorry to hear about your poor roo. Dog's of all sizes are definite predators of chickens. Beaks are no match for teeth.

Yes, the wound can be pecked by the hens. But the biggest concern would be the flies. Flies will surely land on that exposed area and lay eggs, flystrike. Then the rooster will be in trouble. If the wound in not a deep puncture you can spray some Blu-Kote on the area. That will discourage pecking, flies and infection.

The best time to handle the rooster is after the sun goes down. Once it is dark the rooster will be sleepy and easier to handle. Take him off the perch, and wrap him in a bath towel to restrain him. Leave his rear end uncovered so you can examine the wound. Wear a head lamp or have someone help with a bright flashlight. Or take him into the house and care for him there. Dog bites carry a lot of bacteria into a wound. You should clean the wound with an antiseptic. Have your supplies already prepared. Use some Blu-Kote ready if the wound isn't serious. Some sterile gauze should be used for cleaning, also some povidone iodine, chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide or some other antiseptic to clean the wound, initially. Be gentle, yet thorough, when cleaning the area/wound. I use colloidal silver as well. It is a good antibacterial, however, a wound should always be cleaned first, then, apply the colloidal silver. Neosporin can be used, after cleaning the wound. Check the area/wound each day to make sure it is not getting infected. The first 3 days are critical. It should be healed in about 14 days.
View attachment 2747005
The rooster's self confidence will return in a couple of weeks or sooner since he has some ladies to cheer him up.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessings to Mr. Loxlee for a speedy healing and long life! :)
Thank you dearly!!!! This is all GREAT information. We appreciate you!!!!

How is Mr Loxlee? Something got a hold of our rooster, Elvis, yesterday. I suspect chihuahua mix; I can’t imagine my cream puff of a cat would’ve harmed any of the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom