rooster has pulled out his own feathers??????

I noticed my Black Copper French Maran rooster has pulled his feathers out located on the front of both his legs. I do have him separated from the hens, but he is still close enough to be near them, only chicken wire separating them. Is this normal and should I try and treat his legs?

I once let my juvenile flock of "growing out" chickens (6 weeks old) roost in a dog crate outside, under an old truck cap. I closed/locked it at sunset. One night, after a chicken shriek, I found a chicken dead inside, with feathers *everywhere*. I know you said the crate was left open, and chicken still alive, but, if you have another critter that wanted to "play" with mr. chicken, but gave up at the last second, it could make sense why he wasn't hurt, but his fathers are everywhere.
I learned my lesson with the unsecured (wall-less) dog crate, and stopped housing them in it.

I have a big Blue Brahma Rooster and yesterday his partner my Buff Orpington Hen died suddenly. Today he seems to be pulling out some of his feathers including his tail ones - do you think this is part of his grieving? These 2 have always freeranged in my yard, while I have 4 other pens with various flocks - who they both always interacted with through the wire etc.

Back
Top Bottom