Rooster having hard time walking

fluffyxx

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 11, 2012
So I’m worried about my rooster. He is having a hard time getting around. He’s kind of wobbly when he walks sometimes. He keeps his wings down for balance. And he isn’t getting on the roost. Sometimes he just lays down out in the yard to peck and eat. I’ve included a pic of him and his feet. We’ve been treating him for leg mites because he had some trouble before with his legs but he seemed to be better after treating for a couple of weeks. We’ve started the treatments back to see if it helps. But I am going to bump him up to treating everyday to see if that helps.
His first toe joint does curl under(like where his nail is), but it’s always been like that.

But I was wondering if it could be anything else? Or anything I should be looking for?

It’s been so wet and muddy here for like a month, so I was wondering if maybe that had made things worse. I’m going to make them a dry dust bath area to roll around in, cause everyone’s feathers are looking a little muddy.

Attachments

• 496B1560-D62F-43D7-B614-AEE5FE18C2F5.jpeg
    496B1560-D62F-43D7-B614-AEE5FE18C2F5.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 09EEF763-AC01-4CDD-9F4C-B5FFE73C9EAB.jpeg
    09EEF763-AC01-4CDD-9F4C-B5FFE73C9EAB.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 7000CB8B-185D-46B4-82AE-128D5172686A.jpeg
    7000CB8B-185D-46B4-82AE-128D5172686A.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi! Sorry to hear about your rooster. It definitely looks like scaly leg mites. I would continue treatment. Also have you checked for bumblefoot, cuts, other foot and leg problems? Also how old is he?
Thank you for the reply! I haven’t noticed any other foot problems or cuts or anything like that. He did have lice so we treated for that last night. He is probably about 4-5 years old maybe.

Thank you for the reply! I haven’t noticed any other foot problems or cuts or anything like that. He did have lice so we treated for that last night. He is probably about 4-5 years old maybe.
Ah ok, he is probably having issues then from the scaly leg mites and lice at the same time. I would continue treatment for both for an extended period of time, especially for his legs. I would treat until his legs looks completely normal. I’d also check the rest of your flock for leg mites and lice and treat the flock and coop accordingly. Keep an eye on him and hopefully he will improve : )

I would consider getting ivermectin pour-on to treat him for leg mites, and also keep up with oiling his leg scales to get him healing. Ivermectin 5mg per ml, and similar products dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat that in 14 days. Can you get a weight on him? A kitchen scale would work, and you could also weigh him while holding him, then subtacting your weight to get his. You can buy that at TSC and online.

Back
Top Bottom