Rooster? Hen? Both?

LCfarms

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 19, 2013
I've got an australorp that I've been watching since it was prbly 2 months old. I had a shipment of 25 australorp pullets ordered from hoover hatchery back in november, but now I have one that I'm really not sure what it is. I was hoping that she was just an extremely fast maturing pullet, but I'm not sure anymore. She has had a much larger comb and wattles and been overall bigger for quite a while. However, now I think she has sickle feathers and while all her other smaller counterparts has a pelvic spread of almost 2 fingers she is nothing over 1. What has me confused is that it has no spurs and has never made any form of crow like sound. They are now about 20 weeks old give or take a week. Is there something I can check other than just the physical outer appearance for a rooster. I know waterfowl you can pop out the males' penises can you do the same for chickens?

Okay I'll get a picture. It doesnt even show signs of having any spurs though, like some of my for sure pullets have more of a spur nub then it does?

You really cant go by spurs to sex a chicken. Some boys never get them, and the ones that do usually do much later in age than 20 weeks. And some girls even get spurs.

I checked him again and he now does have spur nubs so my last post can be disregarded anyway.

Back
Top Bottom