rooster injured by dog attack

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I posted about the dog attack earlier. I noticed this rooster yesterday morning when he finally came out of hiding...I thought the dogs had carried him away. He lost the feathers on his back and tail. At first I thought he would be alright, but last night he was acting extremely ill on the roost. I caught him this morning and his skin has turned septic and he stinks, so idk if it is becoming gangrenous. He also has a few maggots on him. He has a bite wound on his foot which is also turning septic. I don't expect him to survive, but amazingly he is standing up and eating and drinking in his hospital pen now. Under the circumstances, i will get him a vet appointment and the dogs' owners can foot the bill. But it usually takes a day or two to get a vet appointment with a poultry vet. I have bathed him with Veterycin spray. I have antibiotics leftover from other birds vet appts....Cephalexin is what I would use..but i may not give him any til i see what the vet says. I'm not sure what else to do as I have never experienced this. Should we bathe him in something?

If he has maggots, he needs to be soaked right away in water to get the maggots off. If you have table salt add 2 tsp to each quart of water, or use a little Betadine, or dish soap. Epsom salts a handful to a gallon of warm water is good if that is what you use. A dishpan is fine to use, or the sink. Don’t add too much salt—measure it. Get every maggot off. Then you can spray Vetericyn or use plain Neosporin ointment on him. Repeat the soak in 10-12 hours until each maggot has come off. If he will drink some sugar water or electrolytes that might help if he is shocky.

If he has maggots, he needs to be soaked right away in water to get the maggots off. If you have table salt add 2 tsp to each quart of water, or use a little Betadine, or dish soap. Epsom salts a handful to a gallon of warm water is good if that is what you use. A dishpan is fine to use, or the sink. Don’t add too much salt—measure it. Get every maggot off. Then you can spray Vetericyn or use plain Neosporin ointment on him. Repeat the soak in 10-12 hours until each maggot has come off. If he will drink some sugar water or electrolytes that might help if he is shocky.
Thank you, we did do that. Soaked him in a bucket with warm betadine water. But the more we washed, the more we realized the extent of his injuries. He had so many deep dog bites we could not access to get all the maggots out, and yes, he was in shock. He did seem to appreciate the warm bath and the towel wrap, but he did not make it. We had scheduled a vet appointment for him for that evening, but cancelled it as we didn't want him to suffer further. My neighbor was assisting me and he is a PA, so I trusted his judgment when he said he didn't think we could do any more for the rooster.

Thank you, we did do that. Soaked him in a bucket with warm betadine water. But the more we washed, the more we realized the extent of his injuries. He had so many deep dog bites we could not access to get all the maggots out, and yes, he was in shock. He did seem to appreciate the warm bath and the towel wrap, but he did not make it. We had scheduled a vet appointment for him for that evening, but cancelled it as we didn't want him to suffer further. My neighbor was assisting me and he is a PA, so I trusted his judgment when he said he didn't think we could do any more for the rooster.
I'm so sorry, what a good boy 💔😢

Yes, he was just doing what he was supposed to do....divert the danger so the hens could run. It just makes me sick as the dogs' owner are now trying to negotiate a "deal" with us about compensation. How disgusting.
Don't yield, I'm tired of people valuing other animals lives over chickens. Each one is an individual 💗

The dogs killed my peahen and left her baby an orphan. And two of my best hens, one of those was a personal pet. In addition to the rooster.
How sad for you. I love all by feathered babies. My rooster is going through a hard time too, after last night's dog attack. I gave him 2ml of Moxicam for pain that I had over from my cat. He's not eating or drinking but got up and walked over with some encouragement from me, to some shade. I have said a few prayers which I have to believe will work if it's God's will. Not fair. Other people's dogs are their responsibility for sure. I feel sad for you, that you had to go through that. 😔

Back
Top Bottom