Rooster Injuries

Stillmeadowacre

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2017
Hi! We've raised chickens for many years, but this is our first year with a rooster. He is a silver-laced wyandott, and a very good guardian. He is usually gentle with the hens and pretty docile for a rooster, which is why we decided to keep him (we were supposed to get all females in our last batch of chicks!)

He has recently had black spots on his comb, which I've deduced are injuries, probably from our hens pecking at him? I've ruled out fowl pox, mites, and frost-bite. This morning I found blood on his neck, and I'm pretty sure his waddle is cut (or bit). Is it normal for hens to attack a rooster like this?

I have him separated in a dog cage. I'm worried about the hens going after him more (at the sign of blood).

I'm thinking that maybe they are stressed. We've had them locked inside the coop because of the extremely low temperatures in our area right now. I also had a heat lamp on constantly for about 5 days, so I'm sure their internal clocks are off, probably leading to more stress. I turned off the heat lamp and let them outside since it is a little warmer today. I'm hoping that by separating him, letting the hens out for some air and turning off the heat lamp, this will help reset them all and lower their stress levels. Hopefully that will stop them from beating up on him.

Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track or if this is something completely different! Anyone else have an experience like this?

Sorry to hear about your rooster! :( I would take care of the injury promptly to prevent infection (gently clean with slightly warm water and then apply vetericyn, neosporain or another gentle wound ointment).

Possibility 1:

How old is the rooster? If he is still a cockerel (1 yr or less) or smaller than his hens, than it is very probable that he could be being picked on. It is a common occurrence in flocks that have not had a rooster previously and/or the introduced rooster is immature. If that is the case, I would keep him separate until he heals, gets a little bigger and/or you are able to let the whole flock out.

Possibility 2:

Are the abrasions on the front of his comb/wattles?
When roosters and hens get nervous/bored, they may pace along the fence and damage their combs/wattles on chicken-wire/fencing. However, since roosters have bigger combs (that usually protrude farther forward), they are more susceptible to damage.

Hope he's better soon! :)

Sorry to hear about your rooster! :( I would take care of the injury promptly to prevent infection (gently clean with slightly warm water and then apply vetericyn, neosporain or another gentle wound ointment).

Possibility 1:

How old is the rooster? If he is still a cockerel (1 yr or less) or smaller than his hens, than it is very probable that he could be being picked on. It is a common occurrence in flocks that have not had a rooster previously and/or the introduced rooster is immature. If that is the case, I would keep him separate until he heals, gets a little bigger and/or you are able to let the whole flock out.

Possibility 2:

Are the abrasions on the front of his comb/wattles?
When roosters and hens get nervous/bored, they may pace along the fence and damage their combs/wattles on chicken-wire/fencing. However, since roosters have bigger combs (that usually protrude farther forward), they are more susceptible to damage.

Hope he's better soon! :)
Thanks for your response! He is less than 1 year, but we’ve had him since spring (when about half of our flock came as chicks...including him) and he is bigger than the hens. But yes, he is a young rooster, so maybe he just hasn’t gained dominance yet over the ladies. I’m sure boredom is a problem for them since the cold weather has kept them inside. Hadn’t thought of that! I suppose a flock block or other boredom buster would help! Thanks again!

Thanks for your response! He is less than 1 year, but we’ve had him since spring (when about half of our flock came as chicks...including him) and he is bigger than the hens. But yes, he is a young rooster, so maybe he just hasn’t gained dominance yet over the ladies. I’m sure boredom is a problem for them since the cold weather has kept them inside. Hadn’t thought of that! I suppose a flock block or other boredom buster would help! Thanks again!

You're very welcome. :)

My Welsummer roo didn't gain dominance of all the hens until he was nearly 2 yrs old. Usually, the good tempered/gentle cockerels take longer to establish their leadership.​

Back
Top Bottom