Rooster injuring hen

hgottman2

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
Southern Illinois
I have a rooster who keeps injuring one of my hens. He overmates her and has caused significant injuries. She was recently in quarantine for 3 weeks due to needing stitches. Now that she has been reintroduced and the hens have accepted her, I found a large wound to her neck from him biting her.

Is there anything I can do to prevent these injuries, or is my only option to choose to keep one or the other.

My heart is breaking because I know she is in constant pain from his attacks.

I have a rooster who keeps injuring one of my hens.
He sounds like dinner!

I've kept my share of roosters and in significantly small flocks. I've never had one cause the injuries you describe, nor would I tolerate it.

My flock, my rules. NO bullies!

It's possible, if he's still young that he could get a time out until he calms down some.

He sounds like dinner!

I've kept my share of roosters and in significantly small flocks. I've never had one cause the injuries you describe, nor would I tolerate it.

My flock, my rules. NO bullies!

It's possible, if he's still young that he could get a time out until he calms down some.
They just turned one yesterday. The injuries started about 6 weeks ago when they were in the coop/run. I was hoping free ranging would help, but he has immediately gone back to her. I am going to separate him and see if that helps, but I am afraid rehoming him may be the only option.

A saddle should help. You can also trim his spurs. If they are sharp enough she needed stitches they need some trimming/capping.
Behavioral wise if you can spend time in the pen with them, anytime he tries to mate her chase him off. Don't let him. Thats your hen not his.
Or if he isin't what you need for a breeding project, get rid of him. Dinner or to someone who has full disclosure on him.

They just turned one yesterday. The injuries started about 6 weeks ago when they were in the coop/run. I was hoping free ranging would help, but he has immediately gone back to her. I am going to separate him and see if that helps, but I am afraid rehoming him may be the only option.
That is still pretty young. The separation I'm suggesting would be for a very long time, essentially until fall to allow some maturity and hormones to pass. In sight and near the ladies where he can get a chance to practice some manners, tid bit to them, serenade, and practice his wing dance but not actually mount.

I have considered (and even bought one) a stag "tie out" like they use for cock fighting (forgive the reference) to attach them to their shelters.

Basically an upgraded dog leash that keeps a rowdy boy within a certain parameter and allows the ladies to approach or avoid him as THEY choose. Of course all considerations made for safety of the cock as well.

Those suggesting saddles and spur alterations could be helpful stop gaps.

I'll be honest.. I love and value a good (mature) head rooster but I really enjoy hen only flocks so much more on a personal level. Although he's rough. selective, and maybe clumsy, If he is getting along with your other ladies and only this one is a problem.. re homing either one might be the easiest choice (regarding time and effort anyways). My heart is often *more* tied to those I worked extra hard to "save or comfort". Boys are harder to "home".

Only you know how much time, energy, and other resources YOU have to devote to rehabilitating.

Using craigslist farm and garden section, I can home most birds within 2-3 weeks max. :fl

Saddles, grinding the tips of his claws, cutting his spurs (tips) ,grinding the edges and supervising him may prevent more injuries to the flock but is it worth it? Few people would take a chance on this rooster hurting another hen especially after he's hurt this one twice.

I have a 9 hens & for some reason my barred rock decided twice to tear open my silkie bantams neck.I have her inside. It was a bloody mess.I have a satin silkie also and he never bothers her! I have my injured lady in the house.i have been medicating and cleansing and packing rhe wound for a week now.It was pretty bad.I am now concerned with the loose old skin it's not exactly healing.What should I do.? And trust me the pics are gross but WAY BETTER THAN A WEEK AGO.I hate to get rid of him he is a wonderful protector and loves people.i put the food color on her the first go around so they wouldn't notice the wound. IT DIDNT WORK.And of course the iodine makes her a lovely color also.smh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-194513_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-194513_Instagram.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220406_115040.jpg
    20220406_115040.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220406-115547_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-115547_Gallery.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom